BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Question on the principles of square roots in algebraic eqs

Expert replies
by OneTwoThreeFour » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:19 pm
From OG 12th Ed pg. 22 #16

sqrt(3-2x) = sqrt(2x) +1
then 4x^2 =

(A) 1
(B) 4
(C) 2 − 2x
(D) 4x − 2
(E) 6x − 1

Answer is E

My real equation is whether or not there is some set of rules that limit this question from being solved other than the OG way. For example, I solved it by:

sqrt(3-2x)^2 = (sqrt(2x)+1)^2
3-2x= 2x + 2sqrt(2x) +1
2-4x= 2 sqrt(2x)
1-2x= sqrt(2x)

This is where I decided to deviate from OG's way:

1- sqrt(2x) =2x
(1-sqrt(2x))^2= (2x)^2
1- 2sqrt(2x) + 2x= 4x^2

However, what I found out is that 1- 2sqrt(2x) + 2x does not equal to 6x-1! For example by using quadratic formula, one of the solutions for x is about 1.309.

4(1.309^2) = 6(1.309)-1

But, 1 - 2sqrt(2(1.309)) + 2(1.309) does not equal to 4(1.309)^2.

Why is that? I want to say I made a mathematical error, but I checked my work numerous times and still got the same result. What am I missing here?
Thanks!
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:58 pm
OneTwoThreeFour wrote:From OG 12th Ed pg. 22 #16

sqrt(3-2x) = sqrt(2x) +1
then 4x^2 =

(A) 1
(B) 4
(C) 2 − 2x
(D) 4x − 2
(E) 6x − 1

Answer is E

My real equation is whether or not there is some set of rules that limit this question from being solved other than the OG way. For example, I solved it by:

sqrt(3-2x)^2 = (sqrt(2x)+1)^2
3-2x= 2x + 2sqrt(2x) +1
2-4x= 2 sqrt(2x)
1-2x= sqrt(2x)

This is where I decided to deviate from OG's way:

1- sqrt(2x) =2x
(1-sqrt(2x))^2= (2x)^2
1- 2sqrt(2x) + 2x= 4x^2

However, what I found out is that 1- 2sqrt(2x) + 2x does not equal to 6x-1! For example by using quadratic formula, one of the solutions for x is about 1.309.

4(1.309^2) = 6(1.309)-1

But, 1 - 2sqrt(2(1.309)) + 2(1.309) does not equal to 4(1.309)^2.

Why is that? I want to say I made a mathematical error, but I checked my work numerous times and still got the same result. What am I missing here?
Thanks!
When we square both sides of an equation -- as you did above -- we introduce solutions that might not work in the original equation.

For example:
x-1 = 1.
The only possible solution is x=2.
But if we square both sides of the equation, we get:
(x-1)^2 = 1^2.
x^2 - 2x + 1 = 1.
x^2 - 2x = 0.
x(x-2) = 0.
x = 0 or x=2.
But x = 0 is not a solution of the original equation.

Your error was in performing algebra that was not going to lead to one of the answer choices. Since none of the answer choices contains a √, we need to perform algebra that will clear all the √ symbols:

√(3-2x) = √2x + 1

[√(3-2x)]² = (√2x + 1)²

3 - 2x = (√2x + 1)(√2x + 1)

3 - 2x = 2x + √2x + √2x + 1

2 - 2x = 2x + 2√2x

1 - x = x + √2x

1 - 2x = √2x

(1 - 2x)² = (√2x)²

(1 - 2x)(1 - 2x) = 2x

1 - 2x - 2x + 4x² = 2x

4x² = 6x - 1.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by OneTwoThreeFour » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:42 pm
Thank you again Mitch, that was extremely helpful!
Join the discussion