BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Stupid question, simplification of an expression

Expert replies
by Anurag@Gurome » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:45 pm
oxfordbound wrote:Hi all,

first post, but really stupid question I can't wrap my head around. The problem below, I understand the entire logic of it, but don't understand why it was solved THIS way.

Question: Rectangluar floors X and Y are equal in area. If floor X is 12 feet by 18 feet and floor Y is 9 feet wide, what is the length of floor Y in feet?

I have seen the solution as:
(assuming l represents length of floor Y)

area of X = 12 * 18
area of Y = 9 * l

Therefore, 12 * 18 = 9l

--Here's where I get confused, normally I would just multiply the 12 by 18 and look for a divisble number by 9. But in a video i saw of this problem, the individual says "lets just take 9 out from both sides" and divides the 18 by the 9 but not the 12....why?????

In my mind, he would have to do 12/9 * 18/9.

(The answer is 24; he got this by multiplying 12 by 2. I would've gotten it by 162/9).

Clarifications please!

Oxforrd Bound
Area of X is 12*18 = 216.
Area of Y is 9*l where l is the length.
Or 9*l = 216.
Or l = 216/9 = 24.
Anurag Mairal, Ph.D., MBA
GMAT Expert, Admissions and Career Guidance
Gurome, Inc.
1-800-566-4043 (USA)

Join Our Facebook Groups
GMAT with Gurome
https://www.facebook.com/groups/272466352793633/
Admissions with Gurome
https://www.facebook.com/groups/461459690536574/
Career Advising with Gurome
https://www.facebook.com/groups/360435787349781/
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:14 pm
oxfordbound wrote:
Therefore, 12 * 18 = 9l

--Here's where I get confused, normally I would just multiply the 12 by 18 and look for a divisble number by 9. But in a video i saw of this problem, the individual says "lets just take 9 out from both sides" and divides the 18 by the 9 but not the 12....why?????
We should always look for opportunities to change larger values into smaller values.

Given 12*18 = 9L, rather than multiply 12*18 -- which will result in a large product -- we should divide each side of the equation by 9 so that the numbers become smaller:

12*18/9 = 9L/9.
12*2 = L
24 = L.

Much easier and quicker than if were to multiply 12*18 first and then divide by 9.

Hope this helps!
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by sanju09 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:22 am
oxfordbound wrote:Hi all,

first post, but really stupid question I can't wrap my head around. The problem below, I understand the entire logic of it, but don't understand why it was solved THIS way.

Question: Rectangluar floors X and Y are equal in area. If floor X is 12 feet by 18 feet and floor Y is 9 feet wide, what is the length of floor Y in feet?

I have seen the solution as:
(assuming l represents length of floor Y)

area of X = 12 * 18
area of Y = 9 * l

Therefore, 12 * 18 = 9l

--Here's where I get confused, normally I would just multiply the 12 by 18 and look for a divisble number by 9. But in a video i saw of this problem, the individual says "lets just take 9 out from both sides" and divides the 18 by the 9 but not the 12....why?????

In my mind, he would have to do 12/9 * 18/9.

(The answer is 24; he got this by multiplying 12 by 2. I would've gotten it by 162/9).

Clarifications please!

Oxforrd Bound
No one has expected hence no one really took notice what your actual doubt was. You meant that if 12*18 is divided by 9, then each component of the product should have been divided by 9, so that 12*18 is divided by 9 = (12/9)*(18/9), which is a wrong perception I am sorry. When an expression like x + y - z is divided by say m, it can be written like x/m + y/m - z/m since the expression is a polynomial whose each term needs to be divided by m in order to divide x + y - z by m; but if the expression is like x y z to be divided by say n, we take x y z as a single term because x y z is a monomial with x y z as its valid factors, and in working (x y z)/n out, we do common factor cancellation in order to reduce the fraction to its lowest where the solution becomes easier to get.
The mind is everything. What you think you become. -Lord Buddha



Sanjeev K Saxena
Quantitative Instructor
The Princeton Review - Manya Abroad
Lucknow-226001

www.manyagroup.com
Join the discussion