BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Here's a tough one, help!

Expert replies
by awilhelm » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:41 am
Two women start walking toward each other from two ends of a bridge at the same time. They both leave at dawn. When they meet, it is 12pm. When the first woman reaches the other end of the bridge, it is 4pm. When the second woman reaches the end of the bridge, it is 9pm. Both women walk at different, but constant, rates. What time is dawn?
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:02 pm
awilhelm wrote:Two women start walking toward each other from two ends of a bridge at the same time. They both leave at dawn. When they meet, it is 12pm. When the first woman reaches the other end of the bridge, it is 4pm. When the second woman reaches the end of the bridge, it is 9pm. Both women walk at different, but constant, rates. What time is dawn?
We could plug in the answer choices and our own value for the length of the bridge.

Answer choice: dawn = 6am.
Time for first woman = 4pm - 6am = 10 hours.
Time for second woman = 9pm - 6am = 15 hours.
Plug in bridge = 30 meters.
Rate for first woman = d/t = 30/10 = 3 meters per hour.
Rate for second woman = d/t = 30/15 = 2 meters per hour.
Combined rate for the two women as they walk toward each other = 3+2 = 5 meters per hour.
Time for them to meet = d/(combined rate) = 30/5 = 6 hours.
6am + 6 hours = 12pm. Success!
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by awilhelm » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:09 pm
Awesome, Mitch. Thank you! Could I ask you to walk me through how you would solve this problem without guessing and plugging in? I know that's kind of a pain, but I would be very grateful!
Join the discussion

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:28 pm
awilhelm wrote:Awesome, Mitch. Thank you! Could I ask you to walk me through how you would solve this problem without guessing and plugging in? I know that's kind of a pain, but I would be very grateful!
I'm doing this against my better judgment; I think plugging in the answers is much easier and safer.

Let t = time for the two women to meet at 12pm
Total time for first woman who finishes at 4pm = t+4
Total time for second woman who finishes at 9pm = t+9
Rate for first woman = 1/(t+4)
Rate for second woman = 1/(t+9)
Combined rate for the two women to meet after t hours = 1/t

Since (rate for first woman) + (rate for second woman) = (combined rate for the two women), we get:

1/(t+4) + 1/(t+9) = 1/t

(t+9) + (t+4) / (t+4)(t+9) = 1/t

(2t + 13) / (t² + 13t + 36) = 1/t

Cross multiplying, we get:
2t² + 13t = t² + 13t + 36
t² -36 = 0
(t+6)(t-6) = 0
t = ±6

Since t>0, t=6.

Since it takes t=6 hours for the women to meet, dawn = 12pm - 6 = 6am.

I much prefer to plug in as I did in my initial response. When you look at the two approaches, which seems easier?
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by awilhelm » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:19 pm
Amazing, thank you! One final question: I don't understand how you are able to express each woman's rate as 1/(t + 4) and 1/(t + 9) and their combined rate as 1/t. How does dividing by 1 give us their rate when we don't know the distance?

Thanks in advance.
Join the discussion

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:33 pm
awilhelm wrote:Amazing, thank you! One final question: I don't understand how you are able to express each woman's rate as 1/(t + 4) and 1/(t + 9) and their combined rate as 1/t. How does dividing by 1 give us their rate when we don't know the distance?

Thanks in advance.
The numerator could be any value; the result will be the same. Using d=1 makes the algebra less complicated.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by awilhelm » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:35 pm
Thank you!
Join the discussion