BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

QR #175 PS Embedded Square comparison

Expert replies
by tonebeeze » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:01 am
A square wooden plaque has a brass inlay in the center, leaving a wooden strip of uniform width around the brass square. If the ratio of the brass area to the wooden area is 25 to 39, which of the following could be the width, in inches of the wooden strip?

I. 1
II. 3
III. 4

a. I only
b. II only
c. I and II only
d. I and III only
e. I, II, and III
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by maihuna » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:58 am
OA E:

Try to solve the eqns in terms of Length and breadth, you get final eqn in terms of each other meaning any value will suffice. I am not sure how to embed image let me try.
Charged up again to beat the beast :)
Join the discussion

by anshumishra » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:15 pm
Will keep it short as I am on mobile.
a^2/[(a+d)^2 - a^2] = 25/39
=> [a/(a+d)]^2 = 25/(25+39) = (5/8)^2
=> 8a = 5a + 5 d
=> d = 3a/5
width of one side = d/2 = 3a/10.
so, d can have any value depending on the value of a.
So, answer E.


Image
Thanks
Anshu

(Every mistake is a lesson learned )
Join the discussion

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:02 pm
tonebeeze wrote:A square wooden plaque has a brass inlay in the center, leaving a wooden strip of uniform width around the brass square. If the ratio of the brass area to the wooden area is 25 to 39, which of the following could be the width, in inches of the wooden strip?

I. 1
II. 3
III. 4

a. I only
b. II only
c. I and II only
d. I and III only
e. I, II, and III
There is no math to be done here; just use common sense. Why couldn't the width of the strip be any value? We could choose a width for the strip, then shrink or expand the inlay until the ratio of inlay area:strip area = 25:39.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by anshumishra » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:03 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
tonebeeze wrote:A square wooden plaque has a brass inlay in the center, leaving a wooden strip of uniform width around the brass square. If the ratio of the brass area to the wooden area is 25 to 39, which of the following could be the width, in inches of the wooden strip?

I. 1
II. 3
III. 4

a. I only
b. II only
c. I and II only
d. I and III only
e. I, II, and III
There is no math to be done here; just use common sense. Why couldn't the width of the strip be any value? We could choose a width for the strip, then shrink or expand the inlay until the ratio of inlay area:strip area = 25:39.

The correct answer is E.
Perfect ! Makes sense !
Thanks
Anshu

(Every mistake is a lesson learned )
Join the discussion

by tonebeeze » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:25 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
tonebeeze wrote:A square wooden plaque has a brass inlay in the center, leaving a wooden strip of uniform width around the brass square. If the ratio of the brass area to the wooden area is 25 to 39, which of the following could be the width, in inches of the wooden strip?

I. 1
II. 3
III. 4

a. I only
b. II only
c. I and II only
d. I and III only
e. I, II, and III
There is no math to be done here; just use common sense. Why couldn't the width of the strip be any value? We could choose a width for the strip, then shrink or expand the inlay until the ratio of inlay area:strip area = 25:39.

The correct answer is E.
Exactly! I got the answer correct intuitively, however the answer in the book made me feel as if I did not understand the underlying logic. Thanks.
Join the discussion