BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Avg. Speeds

Expert replies
by Priester » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:38 am
Hi Guys,

I came across the following question when I was doing a practice GMAT today:

A certain car averages 25 miles per gallon when driven in the city and 40 miles per gallon when driven on the highway. According to these rates, which of the following is closest to the number of miles per gallon that the car averages when drive 10 miles in the city and then 50 miles on the highway?

A. 28
B. 30
C. 33
D. 36
E. 38

I have tried numerous ways to work out this solution but I keep getting an answer that isn't listed (37.5). And rounding 37.5 to the nearest mile, 38, gives you the wrong solution. The correct answer is D 36.

Please help.
Thanks.
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

Re: Avg. Speeds

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:26 pm
Priester wrote:Hi Guys,

I came across the following question when I was doing a practice GMAT today:

A certain car averages 25 miles per gallon when driven in the city and 40 miles per gallon when driven on the highway. According to these rates, which of the following is closest to the number of miles per gallon that the car averages when drive 10 miles in the city and then 50 miles on the highway?

A. 28
B. 30
C. 33
D. 36
E. 38

I have tried numerous ways to work out this solution but I keep getting an answer that isn't listed (37.5). And rounding 37.5 to the nearest mile, 38, gives you the wrong solution. The correct answer is D 36.

Please help.
Thanks.
If you try using weighted averages, you get 37.5.

Tot Avg = weight1*avg1 + weight2*av2 + weight3*avg3...

Here, we're getting 25mpg for 1/6 of the distance and 40mpg for 5/6 of the distance. So:

Tot Avg = (1/6)25 + (5/6)40 = 25/6 + 200/6 = 225/6 = 75/2 = 37.5

However, if we actually calculate:

25mpg for 10 miles = 10/25 = 2/5 of a gallon used.
40mpg for 50 miles = 50/40 = 5/4 gallons used.

So, we've used up 33/20 gallons and travelled 60 miles.

Therefore, our mpg = 60/(33/20) = (60*20)/33 = 400/11 = approx 36 1/3

Clearly, the weighted average formula gives us the wrong answer... not sure why though!
Image

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course
Join the discussion

by Priester » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:30 pm
Thanks so much Stuart,

I completely understand the way you solved it, and hopefully I will be able to figure it out during the exam. I'm just worried, that if I had used the weighted averaged formula during the exam, and one of the answer choices was 37.5, would I be wrong?!?!?! Hopefully, I don't come across that!
Join the discussion