BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

PS Question # 1 -How many different triangles can be formed?

Expert replies
by sumit.sinha » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:43 am
Image

Answer Choices:
(A) 10
(B) 15
(C) 20
(D) 25
(E) 30

Source - Princeton CAT5

OA - C
Last edited by sumit.sinha on Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,
Sumit
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by shovan85 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:50 am
sumit.sinha wrote:Image

Answer Choices:
(A) 10
(B) 15
(C) 20
(D) 25
(E) 30

Source - Princeton CAT5

OA - Soon
Total number of available points = 6
Total number of points needed to form a triangle = 3

Thus, total number of triangles can be formed = C(6,3) = 6!/(3!*3!) = 4*5 = 20

As there in no 3 points co-linear we dont have to subtract anything.

IMO C
If the problem is Easy Respect it, if the problem is tough Attack it
Join the discussion

by sumit.sinha » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:55 am
shovan85 wrote:
sumit.sinha wrote:Image

Answer Choices:
(A) 10
(B) 15
(C) 20
(D) 25
(E) 30

Source - Princeton CAT5

OA - Soon
Total number of available points = 6
Total number of points needed to form a triangle = 3

Thus, total number of triangles can be formed = C(6,3) = 6!/(3!*3!) = 4*5 = 20

As there in no 3 points co-linear we dont have to subtract anything.

IMO C
Have you made sure that you are not counting the same triangle twice?
Cheers,
Sumit
Join the discussion

by shovan85 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:12 am
I don't know. According to formula it worked.

By considering AB as base AFB the red triangle, ADB the green one, ABC the yellow one, and ACF the blue-yellow one, I got 4 triangles.

Please help me see if I am recounting any triangle more than once.
Attachments
Pentagon.png
If the problem is Easy Respect it, if the problem is tough Attack it
Join the discussion

by sumit.sinha » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:32 am
shovan85 wrote:I don't know. According to formula it worked.

By considering AB as base AFB the red triangle, ADB the green one, ABC the yellow one, and ACF the blue-yellow one, I got 4 triangles.

Please help me see if I am recounting any triangle more than once.
With base AB: you missed the triangle ABE and triangle ACF does not have base AB.

But more importantly my doubt has cleared, I was not counting the triangles like ACF.
With base as AB - 4 different triangles
With base as BC - 3 different triangles
With base as CD - 3 different triangles
With base as DE - 3 different triangles
With base as AE - 2 different triangles
the five i was missing were:
ACF, ADF,BEF,BDF and CEF

Ok. i guess i am going to use the formula next time around. Much faster. Thanks.
Cheers,
Sumit
Join the discussion

by anshumishra » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:38 am
shovan85 wrote:I don't know. According to formula it worked.

By considering AB as base AFB the red triangle, ADB the green one, ABC the yellow one, and ACF the blue-yellow one, I got 4 triangles.

Please help me see if I am recounting any triangle more than once.
I don't think there should be any repetitions.
sumit probably is thinking whether there are multiple ways in which 3 points are counted twice (for e.g, [A,B,C] and [B,A,C]).
However, the combination formula takes care of that, so when we select r items out of n, all the nCr ways are unique sets.

If it would have been nPr, then the counting will make difference as the arrangements [A,B,C] and [B,A,C] would have been considered differently.

In our case [A,B,C] and [B,A,C] are same, they make same triangle. So, Shovan's approach looks good to me (unless I am missing something here).

Thanks
Join the discussion

by shovan85 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:40 am
sumit.sinha wrote:
With base AB: you missed the triangle ABE and triangle ACF does not have base AB.
No man I did not miss ACF triangle. I have highlighted it in blue in the picture.

And the reason I did not consider ABE as I can see it is similar to ABC and plus it is using two sides of the polygon. Thus is bound to get repetitive. :)

Hope OA is 20 :)
If the problem is Easy Respect it, if the problem is tough Attack it
Join the discussion

by sumit.sinha » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:41 am
shovan85 wrote:
sumit.sinha wrote:
With base AB: you missed the triangle ABE and triangle ACF does not have base AB.
No man I did not miss ACF triangle. I have highlighted it in blue in the picture.

And the reason I did not consider ABE as I can see it is similar to ABC and plus it is using two sides of the polygon. Thus is bound to get repetitive. :)

Hope OA is 20 :)
yes, it is. :)
Cheers,
Sumit
Join the discussion

by diebeatsthegmat » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:29 pm
shovan85 wrote:
sumit.sinha wrote:Image

Answer Choices:
(A) 10
(B) 15
(C) 20
(D) 25
(E) 30

Source - Princeton CAT5

OA - Soon
Total number of available points = 6
Total number of points needed to form a triangle = 3

Thus, total number of triangles can be formed = C(6,3) = 6!/(3!*3!) = 4*5 = 20

As there in no 3 points co-linear we dont have to subtract anything.

IMO C[/quote
very nice, i love this solution. thanks! :)
Join the discussion