BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

If -2x > 3y ,is x negative ?

Expert replies
by himanshi » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:59 am
Hi,

I tried to search this question but couldn't find any link.

Q . If -2x > 3y ,is x negative ?

1) y > 0
2) 2x + 5y -20 =0

The AO is : D

But I marked A. I don't understand why 2) is sufficient alone... ?

Thanks
Join the discussion
Source: — Data Sufficiency |

by kmittal82 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:13 am
Stmt 2)

2x + 5y = 20

y = (20 - 2x)/5

We know that -2x > 3y

-2x > (60 - 6x) / 5

-10x > 60 - 6x

-4x > 60

x < -15 (remember, sign changes when you multiply or divide by a negative number)

If x < -15, it must be negative.

Thus, sufficient to answer the question
Join the discussion

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:12 am
himanshi wrote:Hi,

I tried to search this question but couldn't find any link.

Q . If -2x > 3y ,is x negative ?

1) y > 0
2) 2x + 5y -20 =0

The AO is : D

But I marked A. I don't understand why 2) is sufficient alone... ?

Thanks
If -2x > 3y, then x<0 when y>0. Thus, we can rephrase the question as:

Is y>0?

Statement 1:
Tell us that y>0. Sufficient.

Statement 2:
2x+5y-20 = 0.
5y-20 = -2x.
Substituting 5y-20 for -2x in -2x>3y, we get:
5y-20>3y
2y>20
y>10. Sufficient.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by himanshi » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:47 am
Oh ..That was Simple... :)
I just calculated halfway and left....

Thanks Guys
Join the discussion

by gdk800 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:33 am
Hi,

I might be going a bit off topic, but what if Y = 0 in this case? How do you justify the answers?


I will be glad if you can clear this doubt.

Thanks :)
Join the discussion

by kmittal82 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:42 am
gdk800 wrote:Hi,

I might be going a bit off topic, but what if Y = 0 in this case? How do you justify the answers?


I will be glad if you can clear this doubt.

Thanks :)
If y=0, then -2x > 0

x < 0, so the question stem itself is enough to answer the question.
Join the discussion

by goyalsau » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:38 am
himanshi wrote: Q . If -2x > 3y ,is x negative ?

1) y > 0
2) 2x + 5y -20 =0
I think Important thing to learn over here is that equation with alligators { < , > } are as important as equal to { = }

I always had the perception that only equation with equal to { = } form a equation, but here in this problem we can see that -2x > 3y Helped us in finding a specific value,

Or i must we generally don't get the specific value , We can find the range in which the answer will lie,
example if x < -1 , { Now we know that x will always be -ve } This may not be very Helpful in problem solving questions But in DS questions, It is as important a information as x = 2 ,

I know, This is a general thing but i thought its good i to rewind because i was not able to figure out why answer is D.
:cry:
Saurabh Goyal
[email protected]
-------------------------


EveryBody Wants to Win But Nobody wants to prepare for Win.
Join the discussion