Manhatten review - data sufficiency

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Manhatten review - data sufficiency

by nickhar130 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:43 am
A transmitter is located directly west of a receiver and directly north of a relay station built to circumvent a natural obstacle located directly between the transmitter and the receiver. If the obstacle were absent, given that the speed of the signal is known and constant, how much less time would it take for a signal to reach the receiver?

1) The distance from the relay station to the receiver is 100 kilometers

2) The distance from the transmitter to the relay station is equal to 60 percent of the distance from the relay station to the receiver.

Please let me know also for triangle ABC, what is A, what is B and what is C? (for example A is the transmitter)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by kapur.arnav » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:35 am
nickhar130 wrote:A transmitter is located directly west of a receiver and directly north of a relay station built to circumvent a natural obstacle located directly between the transmitter and the receiver. If the obstacle were absent, given that the speed of the signal is known and constant, how much less time would it take for a signal to reach the receiver?

2) The distance from the transmitter to the relay station is equal to 60 percent of the distance from the relay station to the receiver.

Please let me know also for triangle ABC, what is A, what is B and what is C? (for example A is the transmitter)
Answer should be B... please confirm...

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by diebeatsthegmat » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:21 am
nickhar130 wrote:A transmitter is located directly west of a receiver and directly north of a relay station built to circumvent a natural obstacle located directly between the transmitter and the receiver. If the obstacle were absent, given that the speed of the signal is known and constant, how much less time would it take for a signal to reach the receiver?

my answer is C
what is the answer?
from 1 you know the hypotenuse
from 2 you know 1 side without knowing the hypotenuse
so both insufficient
from 1+2 /you know the hypotenuse + a side so you find out the second side
because the second side you will know all to get the answer
am i right?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by nickhar130 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:57 am
Yes the correct answer is C, but can someone please specifically elaborate how to approach this answer.