BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Width of the strip

Expert replies
by minar » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:39 pm
Couldn't be able to solve it. Please help.

_______________________________

A square countertop has a square tile inlay in the center, leaving an untiled strip of uniform around the tile. If the ratio of the tiled area to the untiled area is 25 to 39, which of the following could be the width, in inches, of the strip?

I. 1
II. 3
III. 4

A) I only
B) II only
C) I and II only
D) I and III only
E) I, II, III only

OA: E
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by Rahul@gurome » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:10 pm
Solution:
Let the length of the square tile inlay in the centre be x.
Let the width of the strip be d.
So area of tiled region is x^2.
So area of untiled region is (x+d)^2 - x^2.
So x^2 : (x+d)^2 - x^2 = 25:39.
So x^2 : (x+d)^2 = 25 : 25+39 = 25 : 64.
Or x: (x+d) = sqrt(25) : sqrt(64) = 5:8.
Or 8x = 5x+5d.
So 3x = 5d.
Or d = 3x/5.
Since x can take any positive real value, even d can take any positive real value.
Hence I, II and III can be the value of d.

The correct answer is E).
Rahul Lakhani
Quant Expert
Gurome, Inc.
https://www.GuroMe.com
On MBA sabbatical (at ISB) for 2011-12 - will stay active as time permits
1-800-566-4043 (USA)
+91-99201 32411 (India)
Join the discussion

by minar » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:20 pm
very convincing explanation.
Many thanks!
Join the discussion

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:15 am
minar wrote:Couldn't be able to solve it. Please help.

_______________________________

A square countertop has a square tile inlay in the center, leaving an untiled strip of uniform around the tile. If the ratio of the tiled area to the untiled area is 25 to 39, which of the following could be the width, in inches, of the strip?

I. 1
II. 3
III. 4

A) I only
B) II only
C) I and II only
D) I and III only
E) I, II, III only

OA: E
There is no math to be done here; just use common sense. Why couldn't the width of the strip be any value? We could choose a width for the strip, then shrink or expand the inlay until the ratio of inlay area:strip area = 25:39.

The correct answer is E.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by pesfunk » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:35 pm
Perfect....awesome answer....was so simple.

@Rahul - No offence but one more example of explanation where you dont need a FORMULA..just common sense :)
GMATGuruNY wrote:
minar wrote:Couldn't be able to solve it. Please help.

_______________________________

A square countertop has a square tile inlay in the center, leaving an untiled strip of uniform around the tile. If the ratio of the tiled area to the untiled area is 25 to 39, which of the following could be the width, in inches, of the strip?

I. 1
II. 3
III. 4

A) I only
B) II only
C) I and II only
D) I and III only
E) I, II, III only

OA: E
There is no math to be done here; just use common sense. Why couldn't the width of the strip be any value? We could choose a width for the strip, then shrink or expand the inlay until the ratio of inlay area:strip area = 25:39.

The correct answer is E.
Join the discussion