If x is a positive integer, what is the remainder when [ 7^(12x+3) ] + 3 is divided by 5?
(A) 0
(B) 1
(C) 2
(D) 3
(E) 4
[spoiler]OA (B)[/spoiler]
(A) 0
(B) 1
(C) 2
(D) 3
(E) 4
[spoiler]OA (B)[/spoiler]
BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course
RedeemTarget Test Prep · GMAT
Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer
Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

with Logan Thompson
Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.
Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.
euro wrote:If x is a positive integer, what is the remainder when [ 7^(12x+3) ] + 3 is divided by 5?
(A) 0
(B) 1
(C) 2
(D) 3
(E) 4
[spoiler]OA (B)[/spoiler]
Hi!rros0770 wrote:Hey Six, you lost me with that one.
I'm going to assume that the (%) sign I'm seeing is meant to represent division?
(7^12x * 7^3) / 5 looks like it was factored correctly, but I'm not quite sure how you converted that into (2^12x * 2^3) / 7. I'm guessing you obtained this by logic, as it doesn't seem to follow any exponent rule I'm familiar with (correct me if I'm wrong)? Just curious how this was derived because this quickly arrived at the correct answer of remainder = 1.
I came to remainder 1 using the same method as Arcane. Except I just focused on multiplying the units digit by 7 each time because that's all we'll need to know to determine the repeating pattern...
waltz2salsa wrote:For this question i believe the easier method would be:
Last digit of 7^(12x+3) is 3 for any x ( 7 has a cyclicity of 4)
hence, Last digit of (7^(12x+3) + 3) is 6
So our question is now remainder when 6 is divided by 5 and the correct answer is 1.
Regards,
Shashwat
New here Create free account