BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Prob of at least 3 heads in 5 coin tosses

Expert replies
Source: — Problem Solving |

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:32 am
joannabanana wrote:If the coin is tossed 5 times, what is the probability that at least 3 out of 5 times it will show heads?


[spoiler]ans = 1/2[/spoiler]
When we flip a coin 5 times, we get either:

Heads 3 times, tails 2 times
Heads 4 times, tails 1 time
Heads 5 times, tails 0 times

OR

Tails 3 times, heads 2 times
Tails 4 times, heads 1 time
Tails 5 times, heads 0 times

Thus P(heads at least 3 times) = P(tails at least 3 times) = 1/2.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by joannabanana » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:39 am
Oh wow, that's really clever!

I was looking for a more formula-type answer, but this is way better. I doubt I'd be able to come up with something like this myself though, especially while writing the test. But I guess that's what these forums are for :)
Join the discussion

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:44 am
joannabanana wrote:Oh wow, that's really clever!

I was looking for a more formula-type answer, but this is way better. I doubt I'd be able to come up with something like this myself though, especially while writing the test. But I guess that's what these forums are for :)
Here's the formulaic (longer) approach.

P(HHHTT) = (1/2)^5 = 1/32.
We need to multiply by the number of ways to arrange HHHTT = 5!/3!*2! = 10.
10*1/32 = 10/32.

P(HHHHT) = (1/2)^5 = 1/32.
Since T could appear in any of the 5 positions, we multiply by 5.
5*1/32 = 5/32.

P(HHHHH) = (1/2)^5 = 1/32.

Since all of the above are good outcomes, we add the fractions:

10/32 + 5/32 + 1/32 = 16/32 = 1/2.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by aimscore » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:37 pm
Hi Gmatguruny,

Pardon my ignorance but can u please explain how u reached this statement ?

Thus P(heads at least 3 times) = P(tails at least 3 times) = 1/2.
ie how did you get the value 1/2

Thanks
Join the discussion

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:51 pm
aimscore wrote:Hi Gmatguruny,

Pardon my ignorance but can u please explain how u reached this statement ?

Thus P(heads at least 3 times) = P(tails at least 3 times) = 1/2.
ie how did you get the value 1/2

Thanks
When a coin is flipped 5 times, there are only 6 possible combinations of head and tails:

In the following 3 combinations, we get heads at least 3 times:
Heads 3 times, tails 2 times
Heads 4 times, tails 1 time
Heads 5 times, tails 0 times

In the following 3 combinations, we get tails at least 3 times.
Tails 3 times, heads 2 times
Tails 4 times, heads 1 time
Tails 5 times, heads 0 times

The probability of getting the first set of outcomes is the same as the probability of getting the second set of outcomes.

Thus, P(heads at least 3 times) = 1/2 and P(tails at least 3 times) = 1/2.

Does this help?
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by this_time_i_will » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:33 pm
joannabanana wrote:Oh wow, that's really clever!

I was looking for a more formula-type answer, but this is way better. I doubt I'd be able to come up with something like this myself though, especially while writing the test. But I guess that's what these forums are for :)
Atleast 3 heads = heads 3 times OR heads 4 times OR heads 5 times

the total number of outcomes in 5 tosses = 2^5 = 32

heads 3 times = 5c3/32 = 10/32
heads 4 times = 5c4/32 = 5/32
heads 5 times = 5c5/32 = 1/32

adding we get 16/32 = 1/2
Join the discussion