BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

square root question

Expert replies
Source: — Problem Solving |

by lokesh r » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:06 pm
No.

4^(1/3)=2^(2/3)

2 x sqrt(2) = 2^(3/2)
Join the discussion

by amirp » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:10 pm
thanks Lokesh,

but can't you simply 2^(2/3) one step further to get 2 sqrt 2?

I thought one of the 2's come out of the sqr and one stays inside...
Join the discussion

by limestone » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:30 pm
Some rules applied to exponent:

x^a * x^b = x^(a+b)

sqrt(x) = x^(1/2) ; 3rd root (x) = x^(1/3) ; nth root (x) = x^(1/n)

(x^a)^b = x^(a*b)

Hence

4^(1/3) = (2^2)^1/3 =2^(2/3)

2 * sqrt(2) = 2^1 * 2^(1/2) = 2^(1+1/2) = 2^(3/2)

Thus the answer is NO.
"There is nothing either good or bad - but thinking makes it so" - Shakespeare.
Join the discussion

by amirp » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:04 am
Thanks limestone,

so,,, for this question... is this the simplified version you would have?

M = 2 + 2(2/3) + 2 (1/2)

or can it be simplified one more step?
Attachments
m.jpg
Join the discussion

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:01 am
amirp wrote:Thanks limestone,

so,,, for this question... is this the simplified version you would have?

M = 2 + 2(2/3) + 2 (1/2)

or can it be simplified one more step?
Since the problem above asks only for an estimation, we can just ballpark:

√4 = 2.
4^(1/3) > 1.
4*(1/4) = √2 ≈ 1.4.

So M > 4.4.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by ankur.agrawal » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
amirp wrote:Thanks limestone,

so,,, for this question... is this the simplified version you would have?

M = 2 + 2(2/3) + 2 (1/2)

or can it be simplified one more step?
Since the problem above asks only for an estimation, we can just ballpark:

√4 = 2.
4^(1/3) > 1.
4*(1/4) = √2 ≈ 1.4.

So M > 4.4.
Can we do it by taking common:

4^1/2[ 1+4^(2/3) +4^(1/2)]---- solving this we can clearly see that it is greater than 4
Join the discussion

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:31 am
ankur.agrawal wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
amirp wrote:Thanks limestone,

so,,, for this question... is this the simplified version you would have?

M = 2 + 2(2/3) + 2 (1/2)

or can it be simplified one more step?
Since the problem above asks only for an estimation, we can just ballpark:

√4 = 2.
4^(1/3) > 1.
4*(1/4) = √2 ≈ 1.4.

So M > 4.4.
Can we do it by taking common:

4^1/2[ 1+4^(2/3) +4^(1/2)]---- solving this we can clearly see that it is greater than 4
Sure, but I think that factoring out 4^1/2 is time-consuming and makes the problem more complicated. Estimating is quicker and safer.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by amirp » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:36 pm
Thanks GmatGuru,

I see how your approach makes total sense. for the sake of learning the concept tho, can you explain how far I can simplify

4^(1/3)?

I know I can get 2^(2/3) but, for some reason I keep thinking I can simplify it even more. can you explain?
Join the discussion

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:11 pm
amirp wrote:Thanks GmatGuru,

I see how your approach makes total sense. for the sake of learning the concept tho, can you explain how far I can simplify

4^(1/3)?

I know I can get 2^(2/3) but, for some reason I keep thinking I can simplify it even more. can you explain?
There are some problems in which you might want to raise each side of the equation to the reciprocal power:

x^(2/3) = 4
(x^(2/3))^3/2 = 4^(3/2)
x^(6/6) = 8
x = 8

Is this what you mean?
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by amirp » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:23 pm
No.

I just keep thinking that since I have a 2^2 inside the cube root, I can take it out and solve it one step further...

4^(1/3)=
2^(2/3)=
( 2^(1/3) )^2 =
and more simplification here? (example: 2 sqr 2 )

Maybe i'm over thinking it and the simplest form is 2^(2/3) ??
Join the discussion