BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Confused with calculating the sum of consecutive numbers

Expert replies
by szy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:20 pm
I don't know what I'm doing wrong!!

Ok so the formula I have for finding the sum of consecutive numbers is
[n(n+1)]/2

I tested this formula out by using an easy range of numbers: 2 to 8

so the total number of numbers from 2 through 8 inclusive is: (8-2) + 1 = 7

So now I plug it into the formula: [(7(7+1)]/2 --> 56/2 = 28

so the sum of the integers from 2 to 8 inclusive is 28.....

HOWEVER

I checked this by adding 2+3+4+5+6+7+8 and that gives me 35.

What am I doing wrong????
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by Ian Stewart » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:42 pm
szy wrote:I don't know what I'm doing wrong!!

Ok so the formula I have for finding the sum of consecutive numbers is
[n(n+1)]/2

I tested this formula out by using an easy range of numbers: 2 to 8

so the total number of numbers from 2 through 8 inclusive is: (8-2) + 1 = 7

So now I plug it into the formula: [(7(7+1)]/2 --> 56/2 = 28

so the sum of the integers from 2 to 8 inclusive is 28.....

HOWEVER

I checked this by adding 2+3+4+5+6+7+8 and that gives me 35.

What am I doing wrong????
The formula you mention allows you to calculate the sum 1+ 2 + 3 + ... + n. That is, it gives the sum of the integers from 1 up to n, inclusive. If you don't start at 1, you'd need to modify the calculation somehow. There are quite a few ways this can be done. For example, if you want to find the sum 2 + 3 + 4 + ... + 8, well, that's almost the same thing as the sum 1+2+3+...+8, except that we don't want to include the 1. So if you use your formula with n=8, then subtract 1, you'll get the right answer: [8(8+1)/2] - 1 = 36 - 1 = 35.

There's a more general method to sum any 'equally spaced' list which I and others have described a few times on this forum, and which should be discussed in any decent prep book; if no one else explains it here, I will when I have a bit more free time.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com
Join the discussion

by Taniuca » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:45 pm
here it is your answer.

The formula you are already using is the sumatory from n=1 to K= n that equals to n(n+1)/2

Your original sumatory didn't start 1 it started on 2.
You can still use your formula but remember it the answer will be the sum from 1 to 8 that equals 36 as you stated, then you must substract 1 that is the difference between the first number and the consecutive one, that give you the new total of 35.
Join the discussion

by szy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:54 pm
thanks guys that makes sense -- i found the formulas that are easier to use
Join the discussion

by nino.ufscar » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:58 pm
You guys are probably missing something...

if you consider Sn = n (A1 + An)/2

where n = number of terms , A1 = the first term of the sequence, An = the last term of the sequence,

you'll get the answer..
Join the discussion

by debmalya_dutta » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:29 pm
the formula for calculating the sum of n terms where a is the first term and the common difference "d" is given by
Sn = n/2 [ 2a + (n-1) d ] or n/2 [ sum of first term and the last term ]
in your example
Sn = 7/2 [ 2(2) + (7-1)* 1 ] = 7/2 * 10 = 35
@Deb
Join the discussion