BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Question from Kaplan Premier 2010-2011

Expert replies
by ketandoshi » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:58 pm
Can somebody help me to understand this problem.

A company has 13 employees, 8 of whom belong o the union. If 5 people work one shift , and the union contract specifies that at least 4 union members work each shift, then how many different combinations of employees might work any given shift?


Thanks in advance.

Ketan
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by sanju09 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:09 am
ketandoshi wrote:Can somebody help me to understand this problem.

A company has 13 employees, 8 of whom belong o the union. If 5 people work one shift , and the union contract specifies that at least 4 union members work each shift, then how many different combinations of employees might work any given shift?


Thanks in advance.

Ketan

If at least 4 union members have to work each shift, then the many different combinations of employees might work any given shift

= 8C5 × 5C0 + 8C4 × 5C1

= 56 × 1 + 70 × 5

= 56 + 350

= 406
Last edited by sanju09 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
The mind is everything. What you think you become. -Lord Buddha



Sanjeev K Saxena
Quantitative Instructor
The Princeton Review - Manya Abroad
Lucknow-226001

www.manyagroup.com
Join the discussion

by limestone » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:08 am
Sanju09, I'm a little confused here. In your answer, you splitted the problem into 2 cases.

The first: all the people in a shift are from the union - 8C5 x 5C0 = 56 x1 = 56

The second: only four in the shift are from the union, one is from the out-of-the-union employees - 8C4 x 5C1 = 70 x 5 = 350
( 8C4 = 70, am I right?)

The total different combinations: 406

However, I try to solve it in another way, and find out that the result does not match. Could anyone pls check if there is any error here.

There must always be at least 4 from the union in a given shift. So I pick out 4 of 8 that belong to the union - 8C4 = 70

I add the remain 4 to 5 that does not belong to the union, then choose 1 from that sum to combine with the previously choosen 4. 9C1 = 9

The total combinations here is: 70 x 9 = 630 - Oh oh, something wrong here?

I can not find out any thing wrong in both method.[/quote]
Join the discussion

by sanju09 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:29 am
limestone wrote:Sanju09, I'm a little confused here. In your answer, you splitted the problem into 2 cases.

The first: all the people in a shift are from the union - 8C5 x 5C0 = 56 x1 = 56

The second: only four in the shift are from the union, one is from the out-of-the-union employees - 8C4 x 5C1 = 70 x 5 = 350
( 8C4 = 70, am I right?)

The total different combinations: 406

However, I try to solve it in another way, and find out that the result does not match. Could anyone pls check if there is any error here.

There must always be at least 4 from the union in a given shift. So I pick out 4 of 8 that belong to the union - 8C4 = 70

I add the remain 4 to 5 that does not belong to the union, then choose 1 from that sum to combine with the previously choosen 4. 9C1 = 9

The total combinations here is: 70 x 9 = 630 - Oh oh, something wrong here?

I can not find out any thing wrong in both method.
Yes, you are right. 8C4 = 70, my mistake!

But how the remaining 4 from 8 do not belong to the union when they in fact do? Your work in red is fallacious and the correct answer is 406.
The mind is everything. What you think you become. -Lord Buddha



Sanjeev K Saxena
Quantitative Instructor
The Princeton Review - Manya Abroad
Lucknow-226001

www.manyagroup.com
Join the discussion

by ketandoshi » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:52 am
Thanks Sanju. I like the way you split the problem. :-)
Join the discussion

by selfmade » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:04 am
This is a good example.
----------
Aiming for 780
Join the discussion

by soham2208 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:17 am
limestone wrote:Sanju09, I'm a little confused here. In your answer, you splitted the problem into 2 cases.

The first: all the people in a shift are from the union - 8C5 x 5C0 = 56 x1 = 56

The second: only four in the shift are from the union, one is from the out-of-the-union employees - 8C4 x 5C1 = 70 x 5 = 350
( 8C4 = 70, am I right?)

The total different combinations: 406

However, I try to solve it in another way, and find out that the result does not match. Could anyone pls check if there is any error here.

There must always be at least 4 from the union in a given shift. So I pick out 4 of 8 that belong to the union - 8C4 = 70

I add the remain 4 to 5 that does not belong to the union, then choose 1 from that sum to combine with the previously choosen 4. 9C1 = 9

The total combinations here is: 70 x 9 = 630 - Oh oh, something wrong here?

I can not find out any thing wrong in both method.
[/quote]


When you use the second method - You are over-counting the number of cases. ! Here is an illustration of how -

Suppose the 8 members in union are - A B C D E F G H

Now, by 8C4 , suppose we get - A B C D, Then out of the remaining 9 people I select F...... I get the whole selection as A B C D F

Now consider another selection - A B C F, then out of the remaining 9 people I select D ...... I get the whole selection as A B C D F ... which is same as before... so similarly all such cases are re-counted....

Hence this approach is wrong....
Join the discussion

by HPengineer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:46 am
disregard my posti got it now..
Join the discussion