BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

OG12, Q4, Diag Test

Expert replies
by von » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:38 am
Hi all, I'm just getting serious with my GMAT studying and have a question about the answer to Q4 in the diag test. I've been looking at the answer to this problem for probably about an hour and I still don't get it:

Among a group of 2,500 people, 35 percent invest in municipal bonds, 18 percent invest in oil stocks, and 7 percent invest in both municipal bonds and oil stocks. If 1 person is to be randomly selected from the 2,500 people, what is the probability that the person selected will be one who invests in municipal bonds but NOT in oil stocks?

Okay, so I started by realizing:

0.35(2500) = 875 = muni
0.18(2500) = 450 = oil
0.07(2500) = 175 = muni+oil

And since probability = num of favorable outcomes/tot num of outcomes and the question asks for the probability that the person selected will be one who ONLY invests in muni's I keep trying to figure out why the problem can't be setup like:

875/2500, okay, wait that = 0.35, ther percent invested in muni's. I'm so confused. How do you do probability? PS: I'm looking at Sal's tutorials on probability at the academy -> https://www.khanacademy.org/video/probability--part-1-

[/url]
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by kvcpk » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:48 am
von wrote:Hi all, I'm just getting serious with my GMAT studying and have a question about the answer to Q4 in the diag test. I've been looking at the answer to this problem for probably about an hour and I still don't get it:

Among a group of 2,500 people, 35 percent invest in municipal bonds, 18 percent invest in oil stocks, and 7 percent invest in both municipal bonds and oil stocks. If 1 person is to be randomly selected from the 2,500 people, what is the probability that the person selected will be one who invests in municipal bonds but NOT in oil stocks?

Okay, so I started by realizing:

0.35(2500) = 875 = muni
0.18(2500) = 450 = oil
0.07(2500) = 175 = muni+oil

And since probability = num of favorable outcomes/tot num of outcomes and the question asks for the probability that the person selected will be one who ONLY invests in muni's I keep trying to figure out why the problem can't be setup like:

875/2500, okay, wait that = 0.35, ther percent invested in muni's. I'm so confused. How do you do probability? PS: I'm looking at Sal's tutorials on probability at the academy -> https://www.khanacademy.org/video/probability--part-1-

[/url]
Hi,

Givent hat 875 invest in municipal bonds.This includes those who invested in both.

We are being asked the number of those who invest ONLY in minucipal bonds.
Hence only Munici = 875-175 = 700

Number of favorable outcomes = 700
total number of outcomes = 2500

Hence probability = 700/2500 = 7/25

Hope this helps!!
"Once you start working on something,
don't be afraid of failure and don't abandon it.
People who work sincerely are the happiest."
Chanakya quotes (Indian politician, strategist and writer, 350 BC-275BC)
Join the discussion

by von » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:55 am
Got it!, that makes sense! :D
Join the discussion

by Prashantbhardwaj » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:29 am
This question can be calculated just by percentage also.
Total percentage 100%

percent investing in bonds 35%
total investing in both 7%

Total investing in bonds alone 35-7 = 28

Probability = 28/100 or 7/25
Join the discussion