BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

question from mba.com CAT

Expert replies
by saritalr » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:46 am
Hi, this is my first question post. The question comes from the first CAT from the mba.com site. I don't believe there are explanations out there for these problems, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Similarly, I had trouble searching the forum to see if my question (or a similar one) had already been posted. Is there a recommended way to search? I'd hate post a bunch of repeats.

Which of the following is equal to the value of 2^5 + 2^5 + 3^5 + 3^5 + 3^5.

1. 5^6
2. 13^5
3. 2^6 + 3^6
4. 2^7 + 3^8
5. 4^5 + 9^5


The official answer is option 3. I recognize now that this is the case, but I haven't identified a non-calculation intensive method to solve the problem. What am I missing?
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by RumpelThickSkin » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:06 pm
saritalr wrote:
Which of the following is equal to the value of 2^5 + 2^5 + 3^5 + 3^5 + 3^5.

1. 5^6
2. 13^5
3. 2^6 + 3^6
4. 2^7 + 3^8
5. 4^5 + 9^5


The official answer is option 3. I recognize now that this is the case, but I haven't identified a non-calculation intensive method to solve the problem. What am I missing?

2^5 + 2^5 + 3^5 + 3^5 + 3^5

take 2^5 and 3^5 common you will get

2^5 (1+1) + 3^5 (1+1+1)
= 2^5 (2) + 3^5 (3)
= 2^6 + 3^6 :-)
Join the discussion

by saritalr » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:13 pm
RumpelThickSkin wrote:
saritalr wrote:
Which of the following is equal to the value of 2^5 + 2^5 + 3^5 + 3^5 + 3^5.

1. 5^6
2. 13^5
3. 2^6 + 3^6
4. 2^7 + 3^8
5. 4^5 + 9^5


The official answer is option 3. I recognize now that this is the case, but I haven't identified a non-calculation intensive method to solve the problem. What am I missing?

2^5 + 2^5 + 3^5 + 3^5 + 3^5

take 2^5 and 3^5 common you will get

2^5 (1+1) + 3^5 (1+1+1)
= 2^5 (2) + 3^5 (3)
= 2^6 + 3^6 :-)
Thanks for your response. Would you mind elaborating a little more? How did you determine that both powers would be 6?
Join the discussion

by RumpelThickSkin » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:52 pm
= 2^5 (2) + 3^5 (3)

multiply 2^5(2) = 2^6 + multiply 3^5 (3) = 3^6

answer 2^6 + 3^6 .. that's all there is to it!
Join the discussion

by saritalr » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:45 am
RumpelThickSkin wrote:= 2^5 (2) + 3^5 (3)

multiply 2^5(2) = 2^6 + multiply 3^5 (3) = 3^6

answer 2^6 + 3^6 .. that's all there is to it!
Okay, thanks for clarifying. I'd originally considered that method to be more calculation intensive, but I suppose if I memorized 2^2 through 2^10 I'd have a clearer idea of the right answer straight off the bat.

Mostly I was concerned that there was a simpler method that I was missing - but I guess that isn't the case. Thanks again!
Join the discussion

by deeyah » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:52 pm
Or if you take 2^5 as "a" and 3^5 as "b"

you get a+a+b+b+b
2a+3b

Subsitute the value of a and b you get
2x2^5+3x3^5

2^(1+5)+3^(1+5)

=2^6+3^6
Join the discussion

by Abhishek009 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:19 am
saritalr wrote:Hi, this is my first question post. The question comes from the first CAT from the mba.com site. I don't believe there are explanations out there for these problems, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Similarly, I had trouble searching the forum to see if my question (or a similar one) had already been posted. Is there a recommended way to search? I'd hate post a bunch of repeats.

Which of the following is equal to the value of 2^5 + 2^5 + 3^5 + 3^5 + 3^5.

1. 5^6
2. 13^5
3. 2^6 + 3^6
4. 2^7 + 3^8
5. 4^5 + 9^5


The official answer is option 3. I recognize now that this is the case, but I haven't identified a non-calculation intensive method to solve the problem. What am I missing?
Normally CAT test takers follow an approach of Cyclicity of numbers.

I am providing a link for the same : https://takshzilabeta.com/index.php?opti ... -&Itemid=5

This is just for reference but I personally feel that the solution provided by deeyah is the best and quickest method for solving this problem.
Abhishek
Join the discussion

by saritalr » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:21 am
saritalr wrote:Which of the following is equal to the value of 2^5 + 2^5 + 3^5 + 3^5 + 3^5.

1. 5^6
2. 13^5
3. 2^6 + 3^6
4. 2^7 + 3^8
5. 4^5 + 9^5


The official answer is option 3. I recognize now that this is the case, but I haven't identified a non-calculation intensive method to solve the problem. What am I missing?
I just read something in my number properties review book that made the problem above snap into place. RumpleThickSkin - it may have been what you were trying to explain but I just didn't understand because I didn't know the exponent rule.

Exponent rule: a^x + a^x + a^x = 3a^x

Example: 3^4 + 3^4 + 3^4 = 3 "¢ 3^4 = 3^5

Example 2: 3^x + 3^x + 3^x = *3 "¢ 3^x = 3^1 "¢ 3^x* = 3^(x +1)

Example 3: 2^3 + 2^3 = 2(2^3) = 2^4

*note that any number that does not have an exponent implicitly has an exponent of 1.
3 "¢ 3^x = 3^1"¢ 3^x = 3^(x + 1)*


Thanks everyone!
Join the discussion

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:09 pm
saritalr wrote:
RumpelThickSkin wrote:= 2^5 (2) + 3^5 (3)

multiply 2^5(2) = 2^6 + multiply 3^5 (3) = 3^6

answer 2^6 + 3^6 .. that's all there is to it!
Okay, thanks for clarifying. I'd originally considered that method to be more calculation intensive, but I suppose if I memorized 2^2 through 2^10 I'd have a clearer idea of the right answer straight off the bat.

Mostly I was concerned that there was a simpler method that I was missing - but I guess that isn't the case. Thanks again!
Hi,

you don't need to do any calculations with the method provided - you just need to understand how exponents work.

An exponent signifies how many times to multiply a number by itself.

For example, 2^5 = 2*2*2*2*2

Accordingly, when we multiply two terms with the same base, we add the exponents:

2^5 * 2^6 = (2*2*2*2*2)*(2*2*2*2*2*2) = 2^(5+6) = 2^11

So, back to the question you posted:

2^5 + 2^5 = 2 * 2^5 = 2*(2*2*2*2*2) = 2^6

(As another poster noted, a non-visible exponent is really an exponent of 1, so 2^1 * 2^5 = 2^(1+5) = 2^6.)

Similarly:

3^5 + 3^5 + 3^5 = 3 * 3^5 = 3*(3*3*3*3*3) = 3^6

(Or, again, 3^1 * 3^5 = 3^(1+5) = 3^6.)
Image

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course
Join the discussion

by Brian@VeritasPrep » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:15 pm
Great thread, everyone! You've all worked the problem out nicely, but it also brings up a pretty key takeaway that's worth mentioning.

I talk to my students about "finding opportunities to do what you do well", kind of like the business concept of "core competencies" (if you're, like Amazon.com, great at distribution of media, then find opportunities like the Kindle to continue to do it even better; Amazon, however, isn't great at brick-and-mortar setups, so you won't see them partnering with Starbucks to create in-person stores with cafes, etc.).

On the GMAT, there are things that you should be good at, and some things that you can probably recognize right away that you're not good at (at least not in ~2 minutes per question without a calculator).

This is a great example of that - we're awful at adding and subtracting exponents, but we're pretty good at multiplying them. When you see a series of exponents added together, you probably need to find a way to use your "core competency" of multiplication. The easiest way to do that is typically to factor, which allows you to turn addition into multiplication.

When you see complex problems on the GMAT, ask yourself how to turn what you see into something that you do well. With core competencies like prime factorization, factoring, using number properties, etc., you should be able to solve any problem as long as you can get that problem on your terms.
Brian Galvin
GMAT Instructor
Chief Academic Officer
Veritas Prep

Looking for GMAT practice questions? Try out the Veritas Prep Question Bank. Learn More.
Join the discussion