is manhattan quantitative set enough for math prep?

Ask your questions about Manhattan Prep products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members
hey,

i have not touched math for 5 years as i finished my degree in crim. but i have been reviewing basic math concepts, number properties, algebra, etc.

Do you think the manhattan quantitative set (i think its 5 or 6 books) is enough to get me ready for the quantitative section of the gmat?

This is the link to to the books that I ordered: https://www.manhattangmat.com/storeitems ... 41&catid=1

please tell me if i need to review anything else or do these books cover EVERYTHING i need to know in terms of math. I just need to score a mid-600 score on the GMAT to get into my program.

thank you all for your help in advance

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by amising6 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:11 pm
good decison to buy mgmat sirji.if you can cover everything out there along with practice problem then 600 will be sure and obviously at the same time you will have to take care of verbal also
Ideation without execution is delusion

Legendary Member

by Gurpinder » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:18 pm
amising6 wrote:good decison to buy mgmat sirji.if you can cover everything out there along with practice problem then 600 will be sure and obviously at the same time you will have to take care of verbal also
ha ji sir, math is my weakest point. as long as those mgmat books are enough for math, then no worries.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by amising6 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:31 pm
go ahead dude mgmat is more than enough for 700+ also
Ideation without execution is delusion

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by Night reader » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:46 pm
I found mgmat of a little use without proper OG exercising. Last time i scored a scaled score of 25 in GMAT Quant. because I did not any exercise from OG. So drilling all OGs might be the required follow-up after studying MGMAT math books.

Legendary Member

by Gurpinder » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:16 pm
Night reader wrote:I found mgmat of a little use without proper OG exercising. Last time i scored a scaled score of 25 in GMAT Quant. because I did not any exercise from OG. So drilling all OGs might be the required follow-up after studying MGMAT math books.
first of all thank you all.

@ night reader
so you were able to pull off a 25 without preping from og?

how long did it take you to read through the entire set? do you think its do able in a month?

Also, do the mgmat books make any reference to og questions? or do i have to do that on my own?

another question is, how did you find the word problems book. That is my biggest weakness in math. I know the theory and the concept but i have hard time translating verbal expressions into algebriac equations. Do you think the mgmat set prepared you to handle the world-problem format of the GMAT?

Legendary Member

by Night reader » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:16 am
@ Gurpinder

I did not prepare enough with mgmat even (no equations, equalities, and VICs I studied at all). I only looked into geometry for a couple of hours during the last two days before exam. I looked geometry of Nova. It will take you two weeks math (arythmetics), algebra and word translations maximum - if you study lazily. It should take you 1.5 weeks to look into geometry - again lazy pace :)

OGs will take yours 30 days.

If you handle to perform the above, you will score 600 surely.

I am going to do the same.

If you study 650 and 700 questions from beat-the-gmat tests, then you are looking into 700 even.

good luck.

Legendary Member

by Night reader » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:32 am
word translations are tricky on gmat. mgmat is better suited for this type of problems. Nothing else is useful, forget kaplan-lapland :) or princeton

manhattan is the strongest guide, no kidding - i searched all torrent and rapidshare, downloaded tons of guides

all is crap except for manhattan. study the books you ordered

Legendary Member

by Gurpinder » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:23 am
thanks for your reponse night reader.

is there any particular order you are going through the 6 books?

Legendary Member

by Night reader » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:27 am
arythmetics-algebra-word transl-geometry-sc-cr-rc-awa = 2 months including ogs
1st month - quant
2 nd month - verbal + ogs
3rd month - beatthegmat+prep of mba.com 2 tests
day 90+n - real gmat test

day 90+n+3 hours - party out your score :)

Official Company Rep

by mgmat-caitlin » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:53 am
Thanks guys for all the positive feedback on our books! From reading through this thread, it sounds like the advice in here is sound and the info about our books correct. If you have more questions, though, I will be happy to answer them.

Best,
Caitlin Clay
Caitlin Clay
Student Services, Manhattan GMAT

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by ptandon » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:55 am
I took the practice test about 3 weeks ago, and got around 35 in Quant, then I started practicing OG11 and OG 12 questions, mainly PS, and took the practice test last weekend, and got 43 in Quant. And I hadn't read ANY books at all, these last 3 weeks, only had practiced OG questions between the two practice tests.

Recently, I started reading Book 1 of the MGMAT and I definitely am learning a lot, from some basic concepts that were a little messed up to the strategies to solve time consuming problems. I have barely finished half of Book 1 and am already pleased and positive that my Quant score will surely improve.

So my point is, I was under the impression that practicing OG questions will be enough for me to prepare for the GMAT, but reading MGMAT gives you short cuts and strategies to attempt questions, which will surely help you in the test.

My goal is to finish the Math books and the OG questions in the next 4 weeks and then take the practice test and see how much I improved. :)

Legendary Member

by Gurpinder » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:01 pm
thank you ptandon.

i am currently finishing up a math refresher. I should be done in a week period. Once i finish, I am going to start the MGMAT books. I have all 5 =).

Just a quick question, do the MGMAT books reference to OG problems or do they just teach??

Thanks,

Gurpinder Singh.

Official Company Rep

by mgmat-caitlin » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:52 am
Hi Guprinder,

The MGMAT books do reference OG problems in the back of each chapter, so you can practice what you just learned on actual official problems.

Thanks!
Caitlin
Caitlin Clay
Student Services, Manhattan GMAT

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by smbacke » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:40 pm
I've been out of school for 6 years. I purchased the Manhattan series after reading the book suggestions. I quickly went through books 1-3 (over one weekend), just to give me a boost when taking the first practice test. I received a Quantitative score of 39. I am going to go back through the books thoroughly and complete the corresponding questions in the OG. I am attempting to get a 700, as I want to be competitive in order to receive scholarship. Good luck! I think MGMAT with the OG is great for self study.
Just getting started!!