BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Power Prep Number Properties Woes :(

Expert replies
by shilotilo » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:16 am
Hi,
I have a problem with each of the following problems that came up in the Power Prep:

1) If If r lies between 0 and 1 and s lies between 1 and 2, which of the following must be less than 1?
I r/s
II rs
III s-r
My answer is I and II, while the answer given is "only I". How come?

2)Is there a fast way to do this one ( a POE kind of thing?). It took me a while trying to figure out the units digits of which 3 squares can add upto a unit digit of 5, etc, etc ----
The number 75 can be written as the sum of the squares of 3 different integers. What is the sum of these 3 integers?
A) 17, B)16, C)15, D) 14, E)13

And I have no clue how to go about this one ----
3) n is a multiple of 5 and n=(p^2) q. p and q are prime numbers. Which must be a multiple of 25?
A) p^2 B) q^2 C) pq D) (p^2)(q^2) E) (p^3)q


Can someone please help? Thanks.

Shilo
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by g_beatthegmat » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:33 am
1) If If r lies between 0 and 1 and s lies between 1 and 2, which of the following must be less than 1?
I r/s
II rs
III s-r
My answer is I and II, while the answer given is "only I". How come?


Plug in number for this. Question says r is in between 0 and 1 and s is in between 1 and 2. Say r = 0.9 and s is 1.9

I) r/s = 0.9/1.9 CORRECT, less than 1
II) rs = 0.9 * 1.9 > 1 Not less than 1
III) s-r = 1.9 - 0.9 = 1 Not less than 1

Thus, I only.

2)Is there a fast way to do this one ( a POE kind of thing?). It took me a while trying to figure out the units digits of which 3 squares can add upto a unit digit of 5, etc, etc ----
The number 75 can be written as the sum of the squares of 3 different integers. What is the sum of these 3 integers?
A) 17, B)16, C)15, D) 14, E)13
See https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-t9319.html
And I have no clue how to go about this one ----
3) n is a multiple of 5 and n=(p^2) q. p and q are prime numbers. Which must be a multiple of 25?
A) p^2 B) q^2 C) pq D) (p^2)(q^2) E) (p^3)q
See https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-multiples-and-primes-t10432.html
Join the discussion

by shilotilo » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:10 am
Hi g_beatthegmat,
Thank you for your prompt reply!

However, I still have a question about the first problem. I thought a "must be true" question is the one in which the the answer always has to meet the given criterion.
I understand that 1.9*0.9 is greater than 1. But if I try 1.5*0.5, I will get an answer less than 1. In fact, this "less than 1" thingy seems to appear for a whole lot of values when I multiply a proper fraction (fractions between 0 and 1) with any other number.
Is there a paradox here somewhere or am I missing something?
Help!

Shilo
Join the discussion

by shilotilo » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:08 am
Anybody????? :(
Join the discussion

by AleksandrM » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:20 am
I found it useful to pick numbers for this one.

0 < r < 1 and 1 < s < 2

I. r/s try 1/2 divided by 3/2 = 2/6, which is <1

try 8/9 divided by 11/10 = 80/99, which is <1

You notice that because the number in the denominator is more than 1, when flipped, it always gives you a number less than 1.

II that's easy: 3/2 x 1/2 = 3/4, but 3/2 x 8/9 = 24/18.

III again 3/2 - 1/2 = 1.

So, you are left with just I.

I'll be honest, took me a little under 2 minutes, whereas it could have probably taken someone else under a minute to solve this using logic.

But, we each do what we can.
Join the discussion

by Ian Stewart » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:39 am
shilotilo wrote:Hi g_beatthegmat,
Thank you for your prompt reply!

However, I still have a question about the first problem. I thought a "must be true" question is the one in which the the answer always has to meet the given criterion.
I understand that 1.9*0.9 is greater than 1. But if I try 1.5*0.5, I will get an answer less than 1.

Shilo
All you're demonstrating above, by choosing r = 0.5 and s = 1.5 is that rs might be less than 1. That doesn't mean it must be less than 1, which is what the question asks. If you can find a single example where 0<r<1, 1<s<2, and rs is greater than 1, certainly it is not true that rs must be less than 1- you've just proven that it sometimes is not. It might be less than 1, but it might not be. I don't think I understand what you're finding paradoxical here?
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com
Join the discussion

by shilotilo » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:49 pm
Hi Ian,
Thank you for your reply. Now that you've explained it so clearly, there is no paradox.

Shilo
Join the discussion

by ksh » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:28 am
hi shilotilo,

For your sl.no. 2 & 3 we can get as below:
2. 2^2+5^2+6^2=75
so, sum of nos. would be 2+5+6=13

3. if n is divisible by 5 and n=p^2q then for n to be divisible by 25 it should be p^3q

Hope u get it.
Join the discussion

by shilotilo » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:23 am
Hi krsh,
Thank you for your reply.

I solved Q.2. My query was whether there was a quick way to know which squares we were looking for in the first place.

About Q3, The answer is p^2q^2. The solution is in the link in one of the posts above.

Shilo
Join the discussion

by beeparoo » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:28 pm
@ksh: You made an error in your calculations.
ksh wrote:2. 2^2+5^2+6^2=75
so, sum of nos. would be 2+5+6=13
2^2+5^2+6^2 does not equal 75.
However, you coincidentally got the right answer (i.e. 13) by accident...

As for Question 3 and why you are also incorrect with that one, someone posted a good link above to the correct solution.
Join the discussion

by Thouraya » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:39 am
75= 5^2 x 3
So Im assuming the sum of the integers is 5+5+3, but I am not sure how these are "different"? theyre only 2 different not 3..
Join the discussion