Consider two parallel lines(one below other).Above line has 5 points and the line below has 4 points. How many triangles are possible with these points?
I may post the image later.
I may post the image later.
BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course
RedeemTarget Test Prep · GMAT
Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer
Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

with Logan Thompson
Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.
Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.
looks likeern5231 wrote:Consider two parallel lines(one below other).Above line has 5 points and the line below has 4 points. How many triangles are possible with these points?
I may post the image later.
small correction in the calculation.ern5231 wrote:Should the solution not be :
C (5,2) xC (4,1) -> Selecting two points from above line and one from below =5*4*4/2=40
C (5,1) xC (4, 2) -> Selecting one point from above line and two from below =5*4*3/2=30
C (5,2) xC (4,1) + C (5,1) xC (4, 2) =40+30= 50
I think the mistake in the posts above is consideration of 2C4 instead of 4C2. I not quite good with Combinatorics so pls correct me if I am wrong
New here Create free account