BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Determining the possible length of a side in a triangle

Expert replies
by tomada » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:00 am
First, I'll preface the presentation of this problem by saying that I *did* search for this problem, and I *did* find the problem (or something very similar, at least), but I did *not* understand the solution as it was presented. So, before everyone gets bent out of shape, please understand that I am re-introducing this problem to get a new perspective, and maybe some better understanding of the solution. If you don't feel like responding, that's fine, but scolding isn't necessary either.

I encountered the following problem on a CAT through the Manhattan GMAT site.

Which of the following is a possible length for side AB of triangle ABC if AC = 6 and BC = 9?

I. 3
II. 9*sqrt(3)
III. 13.5

Choices:
A) I only
B) II only
C) III only
D) II and III
E) I, II and III

I should also add that, in the earlier presentation of this problem, choice II was simply '9', rather than '9*sqrt(3)'. I understand how this might have occurred because, when I copied the problem from the screen within the CAT, the radical sign did not copy over. The previous individual might not have noticed this, or they simply mis-typed it.

Ans: C

The explanation provided in that Manhattan GMAT CAT was confusing to me, because it would preclude the existence of a "famous" right triangle...
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by magizhan » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:31 am
The property that any side of a triangle should be less than the sum of other two sides is satisfied only by III.

With 3 we have 3+6 = 9 the third side so I is not possible.

9*sqrt(3) > 15 (9+6) so II is not possible too.

13.5 < 9+6, valid.


So the answer is C. III only.
Join the discussion

by tomada » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:38 am
magizhan wrote:The property that any side of a triangle should be less than the sum of other two sides is satisfied only by III.

With 3 we have 3+6 = 9 the third side so I is not possible.

9*sqrt(3) > 15 (9+6) so II is not possible too.

13.5 < 9+6, valid.


So the answer is C. III only.

Thank you for the feedback, Magizhan.
Join the discussion