BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Why can't I get this answer??

Expert replies
by farmergrover » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:45 pm
If anyone can shed light on the following order of operations problem, I would greatly appreciate it! It seems like the most simple problem yet I am stuck..

10-3/4
______

2-1/2

According to the key, the answer is 7 3/4. Can you explain?
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by thephoenix » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:51 pm
farmergrover wrote:If anyone can shed light on the following order of operations program, I would greatly appreciate it! It seems like the most simple problem yet I am stuck..

10-3/4
______

2-1/2

According to the key, the answer is 7 3/4. Can you explain?
10-3/4-x=2-1/22-1/2=3/2

10-3/4=37/4

x=37/4-3/2=(37-6)/4=31/4=7 3/4
Join the discussion

by moliver » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:20 am
thephoenix wrote:
farmergrover wrote:If anyone can shed light on the following order of operations program, I would greatly appreciate it! It seems like the most simple problem yet I am stuck..

10-3/4
______

2-1/2

According to the key, the answer is 7 3/4. Can you explain?
10-3/4-x=2-1/22-1/2=3/2

10-3/4=37/4

x=37/4-3/2=(37-6)/4=31/4=7 3/4
Sorry theponenix but I don't understand where the x was in the original problem?


thanks
Join the discussion

by farmergrover » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:14 am
I think it is because if you follow order of operations, you cannot solve the problem as is. If you set it equal to x and then solve for x you can. Am I right?
Join the discussion

by moliver » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:25 am
ok farmergrover, so the problem has a typo
Join the discussion

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:13 am
farmergrover wrote:If anyone can shed light on the following order of operations problem, I would greatly appreciate it! It seems like the most simple problem yet I am stuck..

10-3/4
______

2-1/2

According to the key, the answer is 7 3/4. Can you explain?
I'm guessing it's supposed to be a division problem, as follows:

(10 - 3/4) / (2 - 1/2)

We can simplify the numerator to:

10 - 3/4 = 40/4 - 3/4 = 37/4

and the denominator to:

2 - 1/2 = 4/2 - 1/2 = 3/2

giving us:

(37/4) / (3/2)

= (37/4) * (2/3)

= (37*2)/(4*3)

= 74/12

= 37/6

= 6 1/6

However, that doesn't match the answer given, so there's a problem with the original post.
Image

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course
Join the discussion

by gmatmachoman » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:08 pm
moliver wrote:
thephoenix wrote:
farmergrover wrote:If anyone can shed light on the following order of operations program, I would greatly appreciate it! It seems like the most simple problem yet I am stuck..

10-3/4
______

2-1/2

According to the key, the answer is 7 3/4. Can you explain?
10-3/4-x=2-1/22-1/2=3/2

10-3/4=37/4

x=37/4-3/2=(37-6)/4=31/4=7 3/4
Sorry theponenix but I don't understand where the x was in the original problem?


thanks
Seriously Man, where does that X come from?? Even stuart is also perplexed!
Join the discussion