BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Solving as a quadratic vs. taking the square root

Expert replies
by katejohn7 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:32 am
I am hoping someone can clarify when to solve as a quadratic vs. when to take the square root. For example..

in this question, my instinct when I see a question this "Which of the following could be the value of x - 9 if (x - 2)^2 = 900?"
is to solve as a quadratic, but I am being told I can just take the square root.

This continues to be something I get stuck on and I am sure there is a trusty rule that I have blocked out as a result of all these crazy formulas I am trying to burn into my memory for this test.

Appreciate your feedback.
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by harshavardhanc » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:41 am
katejohn7 wrote:I am hoping someone can clarify when to solve as a quadratic vs. when to take the square root. For example..

in this question, my instinct when I see a question this "Which of the following could be the value of x - 9 if (x - 2)^2 = 900?"
is to solve as a quadratic, but I am being told I can just take the square root.

This continues to be something I get stuck on and I am sure there is a trusty rule that I have blocked out as a result of all these crazy formulas I am trying to burn into my memory for this test.

Appreciate your feedback.
The point to start is the solid number on the Right hand side (generally) of the equation { variables are there to scare you :) ).


If you see that there is perfect square present there, it will always be easier if you take the square root.


For e.g in the example above, notice that the number is 900 which is a perfect square (30^2)

or if you are able to split the number into a product of perfect squares 9 * 100 ( 3^2 * 10^2).

In these cases, it will be better if you take the square root and tackle a linear equation than handle a second degree equation. :)
Regards,
Harsha
Join the discussion

by harshavardhanc » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:44 am
but do remember that there will be two cases that you need to consider after taking the square root.

900 will be square of 30 and -30 :)
Regards,
Harsha
Join the discussion

by kstv » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:37 pm
without thinking much
x²=y² take it is obvious x=y but it is valid for x=-y this is less obvious
so if x²= y² x is +y & -y
(x-2)² = 30² so x-2 = 30 and x-2 = -30 x has two values 32 and -28
so we have two values for x-9
Join the discussion

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:15 pm
harshavardhanc wrote:but do remember that there will be two cases that you need to consider after taking the square root.

900 will be square of 30 and -30 :)
This is the key point to remember and why just taking the root can be dangerous; if you set it up as a quadratic, you'll always see both possible roots.

However, as long as you remember to consider both the negative and positive cases, it's fine to just take the root of both sides (with equations; inequalities are a whole different bag of potential problems).

Another very common mistake that people make is to factor out a variable from both sides. For example, when we have:

x^2 = 10x,

it's very tempting to just divide both sides by x to get:

x = 10;

however, when we do so we're ignoring the possibility that x could also be 0 (in which case we can't simply divide both sides by x).

So, in this case we always want to factor out instead of dividing through:

x^2 = 10x

x^2 - 10x = 0

x(x - 10) = 0

x = 0 or x = 10
Image

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course
Join the discussion