BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

ANOVA - Question

Expert replies
by ajith » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:43 am
Any thoughts on this question - I know its quite basic but I don't agree with the books explanation for some reason

[Sorry Jas, I was trying to move the question to PS forum and goofed up, reposting the question]
Attachments
anova_q_115.jpg
Always borrow money from a pessimist, he doesn't expect to be paid back.
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by harsh.champ » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:58 am
ajith wrote:Any thoughts on this question - I know its quite basic but I don't agree with the books explanation for some reason

[Sorry Jas, I was trying to move the question to PS forum and goofed up, reposting the question]
Main pt. to remember - Root x = |x|
Hence sqrt(4) = 2.
So we get -2^(4) = -16

Ans. must be -16 + 2 = -14
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)



Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker :P
Join the discussion

by harsh.champ » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:59 am
1)x^2 =4 => x = +2 or x=-2

2)sqrt(4) = 2(always)

This is a very common trap in maths.
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)



Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker :P
Join the discussion

by JasLamba » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:03 am
Thanks for the reply.

I don't understand how we get to -16 and not +16. -2^4 is supposed to be positive right?

16+2 = 18?
Join the discussion

by ajith » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:20 am
JasLamba wrote:Thanks for the reply.

I don't understand how we get to -16 and not +16. -2^4 is supposed to be positive right?

16+2 = 18?

Jas,

it is just -1* 2^4, it is always -16 and not 16

2^(-4 ) on the other hand is 1/2^4 = 1/16
Always borrow money from a pessimist, he doesn't expect to be paid back.
Join the discussion

by harsh.champ » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:22 am
JasLamba wrote:Thanks for the reply.

I don't understand how we get to -16 and not +16. -2^4 is supposed to be positive right?

16+2 = 18?
It should be then written as (-2)^(2sqrtx).

I think over here,it means - (2)^(2sqrtx).

It would be kind if any tutor would like to throw some light regarding notations in the Quant section.

Thanks!!!
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)



Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker :P
Join the discussion

by JasLamba » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:35 am
I was under the impression that -2^4 is -2*-2*-2*-2 which means its positive?

Isn't a negative number to an even exponent positive?


The explanation of the book agrees with your initial thought hash.champ.

Glad I am making these mistakes now ...
Attachments
answer of Anova q.jpg
Join the discussion

by harsh.champ » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:42 am
JasLamba wrote:I was under the impression that -2^4 is -2*-2*-2*-2 which means its positive?

Isn't a negative number to an even exponent positive?


The explanation of the book agrees with your initial thought hash.champ.

Glad I am making these mistakes now ...
I want to know:-Is this question from GMATPrep ??
I doubt that GMAT will trick us in notations..
Basically they are not testing us how we perceive the symbols (-2)^4 or - (2)^4 .
Also if some GMAT prep company instructor can throw some light in this regard ,it will be helpful.Can we highlight this thread on the main forum ( I guess mods can do that) as it is very imp. to know whether the explanation in the book is correct or not??
Getting this ques. wrong will be like throwing away easy marks in the drain.

Any feedback will be appreciated.
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)



Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker :P
Join the discussion

by ajith » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:49 am
harsh.champ wrote: I want to know:-Is this question from GMATPrep ??
I doubt that GMAT will trick us in notations..
Basically they are not testing us how we perceive the symbols (-2)^4 or - (2)^4 .
Also if some GMAT prep company instructor can throw some light in this regard ,it will be helpful.Can we highlight this thread on the main forum ( I guess mods can do that) as it is very imp. to know whether the explanation in the book is correct or not??
Getting this ques. wrong will be like throwing away easy marks in the drain.

Any feedback will be appreciated.
-2^4 is -1*2^4

(-2)^4 is -2*-2*-2*-2

"The standard order of operations, or precedence, is expressed in the following chart.

exponents and roots
multiplication and division
addition and subtraction"

[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations]

considering -2^4's case we need to do exponent operation first and then the multiplication operation.
Always borrow money from a pessimist, he doesn't expect to be paid back.
Join the discussion

by JasLamba » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:22 am
this question is from ANOVA Math Guide. NOT a real GMAT prep Question.

I guess the take away is

-2^4 = -16 because we do the 2^4 = 16 and multiply it by -1.

(-2)^4 = 16 because we are multiplying -2*-2*-2*-2

So notation is the key here to properly understand what we are talking about. Thanks for the help guys.
Join the discussion

by dtwea » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:00 am
JasLamba wrote:this question is from ANOVA Math Guide. NOT a real GMAT prep Question.

I guess the take away is

-2^4 = -16 because we do the 2^4 = 16 and multiply it by -1.

(-2)^4 = 16 because we are multiplying -2*-2*-2*-2

So notation is the key here to properly understand what we are talking about. Thanks for the help guys.
Or if one didn't know all this principle

-2^4 = -1 x 2^4 two separate numbers. Like this u don't even have to think about which to multiply first or second. You have two separate numbers, one negative and another positive and know your answer must be negative.
Join the discussion