BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Exponent

Expert replies
by Aman verma » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:09 am
Q : If 2 ^n ( 2 raised to the power n) can exactly divide z ! such that the quotient is an odd positive integer , then the value of n which is NOT possible is :

I. 43 II. 44 III. 45

a) I only

b) III only

c)Both I and II

d)Both II and III

e)I, II and III
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by Aman verma » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:14 am
Ans. [spoiler]e) I,II and III. [/spoiler]
Join the discussion

by harsh.champ » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:33 am
Aman verma wrote:Q : If 2 ^n ( 2 raised to the power n) can exactly divide z ! such that the quotient is an odd positive integer , then the value of n which is NOT possible is :

I. 43 II. 44 III. 45

a) I only

b) III only

c)Both I and II

d)Both II and III

e)I, II and III
z! = z(z-1)(z-2)................(3)(2)(1)

If z is odd,

Z! = z(z-2)(z-4)..................(3)(1) x [2 x (1 x 2 x 3 x 4 x5 x..............x (z-1)/2 ) ]

Now,carefully notice the bold-faced no.s.
Each of them generate sum exponent of 2.
The above transformation of z! can be carried out further and further and in each such transformation a factor of 2 will come out.

Now, my doubt is since we don't know whether z>n or n<z how can we determine how many exponents of 2 can be formed??
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)



Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker :P
Join the discussion

by shashank.ism » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:38 am
harsh.champ wrote:
Aman verma wrote:Q : If 2 ^n ( 2 raised to the power n) can exactly divide z ! such that the quotient is an odd positive integer , then the value of n which is NOT possible is :

I. 43 II. 44 III. 45

a) I only

b) III only

c)Both I and II

d)Both II and III

e)I, II and III
z! = z(z-1)(z-2)................(3)(2)(1)

If z is odd,

Z! = z(z-2)(z-4)..................(3)(1) x [2 x (1 x 2 x 3 x 4 x5 x..............x (z-1)/2 ) ]

Now,carefully notice the bold-faced no.s.
Each of them generate sum exponent of 2.
The above transformation of z! can be carried out further and further and in each such transformation a factor of 2 will come out.

Now, my doubt is since we don't know whether z>n or n<z how can we determine how many exponents of 2 can be formed??
you can form it till you get (z-1)/2 as a n integer...as soon as u get it as fraction...there is ur ans... though ur process of solving the question is not feasible according to me..
Aman could u please give Original solution here/.....thanks
My Websites:
www.mba.webmaggu.com - India's social Network for MBA Aspirants

www.deal.webmaggu.com -India's online discount, coupon, free stuff informer.

www.dictionary.webmaggu.com - A compact free online dictionary with images.

Nothing is Impossible, even Impossible says I'm possible.
Join the discussion

by Ian Stewart » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:10 am
Aman verma wrote:Ans. [spoiler]e) I,II and III. [/spoiler]
In this question, we want to find the highest power of 2 which will divide z!. That is, we want to count how many 2's there are 'inside' z!. I've explained in more detail in earlier posts how this can be done, but hopefully the brief explanation below will make sense. If we take, for example, 48!, and write out the product 1*2*3*...*46*47*48, we will find there are:

24 multiples of 2
12 multiples of 4, each of which gives us one additional 2
6 multiples of 8, each of which gives us one additional 2
3 multiples of 16, each of which gives us one additional 2
1 multiple of 32, which gives us one additional 2

Thus 48! is divisible by 2^46.

If we did the same for 46!, we would find that it was only divisible by 2^42 (since we are leaving out 48 from the product, and 48 is divisible by 2^4). Thus, the highest power of 2 which divides 46! is 2^42, and the highest power of 2 which divides 48! is 2^46; it is never the case that 2^43, 2^44 or 2^45 is the highest power of 2 dividing z!.

This question seems a bit too involved for the GMAT, though there are certainly simpler questions which test a similar concept. Discovering that 46! and 48! are the factorials to investigate might require some trial and error, which makes this question too time consuming for the test. The wording of the question is also bad, since it makes it sounds as though there is only one impossible value for n; there are infinitely many impossible values of n, and the question should ask 'which of the following could not be equal to n?'
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com
Join the discussion

by Aman verma » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:38 am
Unfortunately, I didn't had the solution ,only had the net answer which is E.

But fortunately, Ian has provided the solution and the underlying logic.

Thanks to all the people for posting their views. I hope you all will continue to provide support to my queries.

If I have solutions to the questions I will definitely post them.
Join the discussion