BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

x+y+z

Expert replies
by shashank.ism » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:17 pm
If x + y + z = 1 and x, y, z are non-negative numbers, then what is the minimum possible value of the
following expression: [2 - x + yz]- 1 + [2 - y + xz]-1 + [2 - z + xy]- 1.


a) 27/16
b) 25 / 9
c) 38 / 25
d) 3 / 2
e) 12/ 5
My Websites:
www.mba.webmaggu.com - India's social Network for MBA Aspirants

www.deal.webmaggu.com -India's online discount, coupon, free stuff informer.

www.dictionary.webmaggu.com - A compact free online dictionary with images.

Nothing is Impossible, even Impossible says I'm possible.
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by rickyishere » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:56 pm
shashank.ism wrote:If x + y + z = 1 and x, y, z are non-negative numbers, then what is the minimum possible value of the
following expression: [2 - x + yz]- 1 + [2 - y + xz]-1 + [2 - z + xy]- 1.


a) 27/16
b) 25 / 9
c) 38 / 25
d) 3 / 2
e) 12/ 5
[2-x+yz]-1 + [2-y+xz]-1+[2-z+xy] - 1 = 2+ xy+yz+xz. So the answer has to be a value > 2, eliminating options a), c) and d. I go with option e as the answer. What is the OA ?

Thanks
Ricky
Join the discussion

by harsh.champ » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:34 pm
shashank.ism wrote:If x + y + z = 1 and x, y, z are non-negative numbers, then what is the minimum possible value of the
following expression: [2 - x + yz]- 1 + [2 - y + xz]-1 + [2 - z + xy]- 1.


a) 27/16
b) 25 / 9
c) 38 / 25
d) 3 / 2
e) 12/ 5
The expression can be written as 3 -(x+y+z) +(xy+yz +zx)
= 2 +(xy+yz+zx) Now,since all the no.s are non-negative ,the minimum value will be taken when (xy + yz + zx)
is minimum.
taking the case,x=1,y=0,z=0 xy + yz + zx =0 ,Hence 2.
which does not matches with any of the answer choices.
Did I do something wrong??
Help required!!



Shashank,can you post the OA as well as the soln. approach.
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)



Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker :P
Join the discussion

by harsh.champ » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:38 pm
rickyishere wrote:
shashank.ism wrote:If x + y + z = 1 and x, y, z are non-negative numbers, then what is the minimum possible value of the
following expression: [2 - x + yz]- 1 + [2 - y + xz]-1 + [2 - z + xy]- 1.


a) 27/16
b) 25 / 9
c) 38 / 25
d) 3 / 2
e) 12/ 5
[2-x+yz]-1 + [2-y+xz]-1+[2-z+xy] - 1 = 2+ xy+yz+xz. So the answer has to be a value > 2, eliminating options a), c) and d. I go with option e as the answer. What is the OA ?

Thanks
Ricky
Hey ricky ,
I just wanted to say isn't that a very wild guess.What should be the guessing approach in the exams??
Help required frm tutors!!!

Also,I think u assumed x,y,z to be positive .But two of them can also be zero,since in the ques. it is written "non-negative"
but it isn't written "positive"
.I guess you assumed it to be +ve. Just check.This is also one of the common quant trap.

Also,an article was also featured on the BTG home-page about the importance of the cipher.
I also recalled the above point from that article only.
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)



Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker :P
Join the discussion

by gmat800_ » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:55 pm
My answer is e
but I'm not sure, what is the OA?
Join the discussion

by rickyishere » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:16 pm
harsh.champ wrote:
rickyishere wrote:
shashank.ism wrote:If x + y + z = 1 and x, y, z are non-negative numbers, then what is the minimum possible value of the
following expression: [2 - x + yz]- 1 + [2 - y + xz]-1 + [2 - z + xy]- 1.


a) 27/16
b) 25 / 9
c) 38 / 25
d) 3 / 2
e) 12/ 5
[2-x+yz]-1 + [2-y+xz]-1+[2-z+xy] - 1 = 2+ xy+yz+xz. So the answer has to be a value > 2, eliminating options a), c) and d. I go with option e as the answer. What is the OA ?

Thanks
Ricky
Hey ricky ,
I just wanted to say isn't that a very wild guess.What should be the guessing approach in the exams??
Help required frm tutors!!!

Also,I think u assumed x,y,z to be positive .But two of them can also be zero,since in the ques. it is written "non-negative"
but it isn't written "positive"
.I guess you assumed it to be +ve. Just check.This is also one of the common quant trap.

Also,an article was also featured on the BTG home-page about the importance of the cipher.
I also recalled the above point from that article only.
Harsh,

I narrowed down my choices to 2/5. After that, yes, I did make a guess. I based it on the fact that since the question asked for a minimum, I picked the minimum of 2 fractions left. Can someone please explain how this problem needs to be solved ?

Thanks
Join the discussion

by money9111 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:48 pm
can you state the source?
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Join the discussion

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:55 pm
money9111 wrote:can you state the source?
https://www.scribd.com/doc/15844487/CAT-de-Quant-Test-48

Number 3
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.
Join the discussion

by vscid » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:48 pm
When you say 'non-negative number', can you assume that number to be zero ? If yes, then the answer will be 2 which is not even in the options.
The GMAT is indeed adaptable. Whenever I answer RC, it proficiently 'adapts' itself to mark my 'right' answer 'wrong'.
Join the discussion

by harsh.champ » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:41 am
vscid wrote:When you say 'non-negative number', can you assume that number to be zero ? If yes, then the answer will be 2 which is not even in the options.
Well vscid,
According to the mathematical rules "zero" is a non-negative number.
If you look at my post above I also got the same answer "2".Dont know if the answer choices are wrong or my method is??

Harsh,

I narrowed down my choices to 2/5. After that, yes, I did make a guess. I based it on the fact that since the question asked for a minimum, I picked the minimum of 2 fractions left. Can someone please explain how this problem needs to be solved ?

Thanks
Hey ricky,
As I had earlier stated you had picked the opposite choice of the 2 answer choices narrowed down by you.
Just carefully look at the GT and the LT signs in the question.
Anyways what do u say about my approach as I am getting the answer as 2??
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)



Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker :P
Join the discussion