BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATBootcamp Starts Sep 28
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE BOOTCAMP

Live Online Bootcamp Class with Top GMAT Expert Chris Peckover

15 live classes from Sep 28, 2026

Schedule
Mon to Fri · 7:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Included
Live classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Boost your GMAT score in less than one month in a live online class
  • 6 months access to TTP OnDemand video courses included
View bootcamp & enroll
Limited cohort · enrollment openTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeach 5 seats left
Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll
Limited cohort · enrollment openTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Simple Inequalities Question

Problem Solving — algebra and arithmetic (GMAT Focus Edition)
Expert replies
by bdevas01 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:24 am
I was on platinumgmat.com, looking over their quantitative tutorials and I believe I have found an error, but I'd just like confirm it with the community.

The tutorial states the following:

"If x+2 < y+2 is multiplied by -1 on both sides, the result is not -2-x < -y-2. Instead, the result is -2-x > -y-2. "

I don't understand why the 'x' and the '2' on the left-hand side of the inequality have changed order. I believe it's a typo, but maybe I'm missing something.

What do you guys think?
The direct link to the site is: https://www.platinumgmat.com/gmat_study_ ... equalities

Thanks in advance for all posts!
Join the discussion
Source: — Quantitative Reasoning |

by thephoenix » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:31 am
bdevas01 wrote:I was on platinumgmat.com, looking over their quantitative tutorials and I believe I have found an error, but I'd just like confirm it with the community.

The tutorial states the following:

"If x+2 < y+2 is multiplied by -1 on both sides, the result is not -2-x < -y-2. Instead, the result is -2-x > -y-2. "

I don't understand why the 'x' and the '2' on the left-hand side of the inequality have changed order. I believe it's a typo, but maybe I'm missing something.

What do you guys think?
The direct link to the site is: https://www.platinumgmat.com/gmat_study_ ... equalities

Thanks in advance for all posts!
hello devas

the operation is correct
in inequalities whenever u multiply or divide bth side by -1 the sign reverses.....

to understand this just consider x and y are int such that x<y ; now multiply bth side by -1 result will be -x>-y
for eg
x=2 and y=10
2<10
but -2>-10
hence multiplying -1 will rsult in change of sign
same is true with div....

moreover when x>y
we can not say x/Y>1
bcoz for -x and -y result will be opp...

but we can say x-y>0
Join the discussion

by bdevas01 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:09 am
Thank you for your reply but that was not my question. I understand that the sign changes but why do the x and the 2 switch places?
Join the discussion

by sars72 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:28 am
bdevas01 wrote:Thank you for your reply but that was not my question. I understand that the sign changes but why do the x and the 2 switch places?
it doesn't matter in which order they are. As long as they are on the same side.

-x-2 is the same as -2-x
Join the discussion

by bdevas01 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:06 am
That's true, I didn't catch that but now that you point it out, it makes sense. Subtracting a number from a negative number is the same thing as adding a number to a positive number (with the exception that one will yield a negative number and the other a positive number).

I'm just curious to know why the two numbers were flipped in the first place. Any ideas?
Join the discussion

by harsh.champ » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:45 am
well,the catch in such questions is that you just have to put some values of x and y...suppose x is 2 and y is 3 ....then x+2 (4)<y+2(5).......but on the negative number line -4>-5...thus this is an objective way of getting to the answer.....and a pretty simple way too as it takes just 3-5 seconds to figure out
Join the discussion

by harsh.champ » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:55 am
bdevas01 wrote:That's true, I didn't catch that but now that you point it out, it makes sense. Subtracting a number from a negative number is the same thing as adding a number to a positive number (with the exception that one will yield a negative number and the other a positive number).

I'm just curious to know why the two numbers were flipped in the first place. Any ideas?

well,flipping the numbers is just a way of confusing you and decreasing your speed......just keep your concepts clear
Join the discussion

by bdevas01 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:26 am
Got it.

Thanks for clearing it all up guys!
Join the discussion