BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

absolute value

Expert replies
by Lattefah84 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:06 pm
What is the sum of integers [m]A[/m] and [m]B[/m] ?

1. [m]|A| = -|B|[/m]
2. [m]|B| = -|A|[/m]



* Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but Statement (2) ALONE is not sufficient
* Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but Statement (1) ALONE is not sufficient
* BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient
* EACH statement ALONE is sufficient
* Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient

In both equations the left side cannot be negative and the right side cannot be positive. Each equation holds only for [m]A = B = 0[/m] . In this case, [m]A + B = 0[/m] .
The correct answer is D.



My question is - isn't I A I = - I B I ; without "absolute" sign A= -B ? Can someone please explain this...
Join the discussion
Source: — Data Sufficiency |

by sars72 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:17 pm
i'm not sure i understand what you are facing difficulties with

you are correct with respects to 0 being the only possbile answer

modulus gives the absolute value, so the only instance where modulus can equal the -ve of a variable is when that variable is the integer 0.

If you are asking can we remove the modulus signs from both sides of the equation by cancelling it out, the answer is NO, we cannot. The modulus sign is an operation and we cannot cancel it out.
Join the discussion

by Lattefah84 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:24 pm
sars72 wrote:i'm not sure i understand what you are facing difficulties with

you are correct with respects to 0 being the only possbile answer

modulus gives the absolute value, so the only instance where modulus can equal the -ve of a variable is when that variable is the integer 0.

If you are asking can we remove the modulus signs from both sides of the equation by cancelling it out, the answer is NO, we cannot. The modulus sign is an operation and we cannot cancel it out.
We can't cancel put the absolute valute, so we put I A I + I B I = 0 ?
Join the discussion

by sars72 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:30 pm
Lattefah84 wrote: We can't cancel put the absolute valute, so we put I A I + I B I = 0 ?
exactly! so, the only way the sum of two absolute values is equal to 0 is if you have |0| + |0|
Join the discussion

by Lattefah84 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:50 pm
sars72 wrote:
Lattefah84 wrote: We can't cancel put the absolute valute, so we put I A I + I B I = 0 ?
exactly! so, the only way the sum of two absolute values is equal to 0 is if you have |0| + |0|
oh thanks, I didn't know about that rule!
Join the discussion