BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

If x is an integer....

Expert replies
by joyseychow » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:39 pm
If x is an integer and sqrt(x) * x - x = a , which of the following must be true?
I. a is Even
II. a is Positive
III. a is an Integer

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II
E. None of the above


[spoiler]IMO is C. If I simplify equation sqrt(x) * x - x = a -----> x[sqrt(x) -1]=a, then am I right to say that
x=a or [sqrt(x) -1]=a. Hence shouldn't a be an integer since a=x??? I'm confuse...:?

OA is E.[/spoiler]
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by sars72 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:50 pm
we can simplify to
sqrt(x^3) - x = a

If x is negative, we cannot find its root, so we infer that x is not negative i.e. 0 or positive

to find which are true, we should attempt to disprove each of the choices

take x = 3 -> a = sqrt(27) - 3, which gives us a non-integer, so II and III are not always true and thus eliminiated

which leaves us with only answer choices B and E

now, by subsituting x = 0 -> a = sqrt(0) - 0 = 0, 0 is not positive and this B is eliminated

Therefore the answer choice is E.

Please correct me if am wrong.
Join the discussion

by thephoenix » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:15 am
joyseychow wrote:If x is an integer and sqrt(x) * x - x = a , which of the following must be true?
I. a is Even
II. a is Positive
III. a is an Integer

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II
E. None of the above


[spoiler]IMO is C. If I simplify equation sqrt(x) * x - x = a -----> x[sqrt(x) -1]=a, then am I right to say that
x=a or [sqrt(x) -1]=a. Hence shouldn't a be an integer since a=x??? I'm confuse...:?

OA is E.[/spoiler]
usually none of these is not a GMAT option.....
however here its easy to decipher that ans is E by POE
since nothing is mentioned about a
and abt x its an int , we dnt knw whether its +ve or -ve and we dnt anything about whether its even or odd

hence to compute anything abt a is impossible....
and to ans your query if
a*b=24
then to say either a=24 or b=24 is incorrect bcoz 8*3=24;6*4=24;12*2=24;24*1=24
but if a*b=0 then we can say either a=0 or b=0(its a property of 0)

here E is the ans
Join the discussion

by sanju09 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:25 am
joyseychow wrote:If x is an integer and sqrt(x) * x - x = a , which of the following must be true?
I. a is Even
II. a is Positive
III. a is an Integer

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II
E. None of the above


[spoiler]IMO is C. If I simplify equation sqrt(x) * x - x = a -----> x[sqrt(x) -1]=a, then am I right to say that
x=a or [sqrt(x) -1]=a. Hence shouldn't a be an integer since a=x??? I'm confuse...:?

OA is E.[/spoiler]
We have an integer x, such that x √x - x = a.

Take example-numbers with the intent of denying a statement in all the "must be true" kind of questions on GMAT.

I. We do not assign terms like even/odd with the irrationals, x = 2, 3, 5... leave a as a complex irrational, so NO.

II. It is certain that x is a non-negative integer, otherwise GMAT would not have put that under '√'. When x =1, a = 0; sufficient reason to deny II.

III. An irrational is not an integer, see I, and deny III.

All denied

[spoiler]E[/spoiler]
The mind is everything. What you think you become. -Lord Buddha



Sanjeev K Saxena
Quantitative Instructor
The Princeton Review - Manya Abroad
Lucknow-226001

www.manyagroup.com
Join the discussion