BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

GMAT Prep1 question - Faster method to solve !

Expert replies
by sreak1089 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:20 am
For every integer k from 1 to 10, inclusive, the kth term of a certain sequence is given by (-1)^(k+1) * (1/2^k). If T is the sum of the first 10 terms in the sequence, then T is

A) greater than 2
B) between 1 and 2
C) between 1/2 and 1
D) between 1/4 and 1/2
E) less than 1/2

Following is what I did to solve this problem:

Need to sum of first 10 terms in the sequence.
I know that odd terms in the sequence are : 1/2, 1/8, 1/32, 1/128, 1/512
I know that even terms in the sequence are: -1/4, -1/16, -1/64, -1/256, -1/1024
Subtracting each of the even terms from odd: I get: 1/4 + 1/8 + 1/32 + 1/256 + 1/1024
Adding them I get 341/1024. I realize it is slightly greather than 1/4 and less than 1/2. Hence D.

Is there a faster method to answer this question?
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by bigmonkey31 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:32 pm
You did exactly what I would do, except I don't think I would have solved for so many values of k... I think after solving for k=1 thru 6 or even 1 thru 4, you can understand that the value gets exponentially smaller (remember:fraction*fraction is always less than both original fractions) and trends towards 0. Hence, once you find the base of 1/4 and take into account that the odd and even values of k are canceling each other (to an extent), then you can infer D.
Join the discussion

by sreak1089 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:36 am
Perfect ! Like that !!
bigmonkey31 wrote:You did exactly what I would do, except I don't think I would have solved for so many values of k... I think after solving for k=1 thru 6 or even 1 thru 4, you can understand that the value gets exponentially smaller (remember:fraction*fraction is always less than both original fractions) and trends towards 0. Hence, once you find the base of 1/4 and take into account that the odd and even values of k are canceling each other (to an extent), then you can infer D.
Join the discussion

by bhumika.k.shah » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:31 am
hi ,
i am sowree could u please elaborate !
i dint understand a word :-(
Join the discussion

by sanju09 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:17 am
bhumika.k.shah wrote:hi ,
i am sowree could u please elaborate !
i dint understand a word :-(
A geometric progression with its common ratio r given by (absolute value r) < 1, can be added to infinite terms to expect a finite answer, using the well known formula a/(1 - r), where a is the first term of the GP. Sreak got the GP ¼ + 1/8 + 1/32 + 1/256 + 1/1024, with its first term as ¼ and (absolute value r) = ½. Leave alone just five terms, even if it was to be added to infinite terms, the sum would have been (¼)/(1 - ½) = ½. Hence, ¼ < ¼ + 1/8 + 1/32 + 1/256 + 1/1024 < ½.

[spoiler]D[/spoiler]
The mind is everything. What you think you become. -Lord Buddha



Sanjeev K Saxena
Quantitative Instructor
The Princeton Review - Manya Abroad
Lucknow-226001

www.manyagroup.com
Join the discussion