BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

GMAT Prep Practice Test 1 order question

Expert replies
by davidnodine » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:56 pm
If x is positive, which of the following could be the correct ordering of 1/x,2x, and x^2

I. x^2<2x<1/x
II. x^2<1/x<2x
III. 2x< x^2<1/x

a. None
b. I only
c. III only
d. I and II
e I, II and III

I understand how one works with fractions but I'm confused that the answer is D I and II. I'm sure its something simple that i'm over thinking. Thanks
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

davidnodine wrote:If x is positive, which of the following could be the correct ordering of 1/x,2x, and x^2

I. x^2<2x<1/x
II. x^2<1/x<2x
III. 2x< x^2<1/x

a. None
b. I only
c. III only
d. I and II
e I, II and III

I understand how one works with fractions but I'm confused that the answer is D I and II. I'm sure its something simple that i'm over thinking. Thanks
Are you sure II = x^2<1/x<2x ?

Coz if you take a fraction like 3/2,
x^2 = 9/4
1/x = 2/3
2x = 3

So i'm getting the expression as 1/x<x^2<2x.
Join the discussion

Re: GMAT Prep Practice Test 1 order question

by beny » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:53 am
ratindasgupta wrote:
davidnodine wrote:If x is positive, which of the following could be the correct ordering of 1/x,2x, and x^2

I. x^2<2x<1/x
II. x^2<1/x<2x
III. 2x< x^2<1/x

a. None
b. I only
c. III only
d. I and II
e I, II and III

I understand how one works with fractions but I'm confused that the answer is D I and II. I'm sure its something simple that i'm over thinking. Thanks
Are you sure II = x^2<1/x<2x ?

Coz if you take a fraction like 3/2,
x^2 = 9/4
1/x = 2/3
2x = 3

So i'm getting the expression as 1/x<x^2<2x.
Just because one example works, doesn't mean he typed the problem incorrectly...

x=.9 would satisfy criterion II.
Join the discussion

by davidnodine » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:23 pm
It is written correctly. Is there any way to look at this question without plugging in numbers?
Join the discussion

by uptowngirl92 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:39 am
Source of the question is: GMAT Prep Test 1

If x is positive which of the following could be correct ordering of 1/x, 2x, x^2.
1) x^2 < 2x < 1/x

2) x^2 < 1/x < 2x

3) 2x < x^2 < 1/x

Choices are:

1) None
2) 1 Only
3) 3 Only
4) I and 2 only
5) 1, 2, 3

How to proceed without plugging in?I plugged in in the exam and got only choice 1 as correct and hence marke db which is wrong:(
Join the discussion

by palvarez » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:20 am
uptowngirl92 wrote:Source of the question is: GMAT Prep Test 1

If x is positive which of the following could be correct ordering of 1/x, 2x, x^2.
1) x^2 < 2x < 1/x

2) x^2 < 1/x < 2x

3) 2x < x^2 < 1/x

Choices are:

1) None
2) 1 Only
3) 3 Only
4) I and 2 only
5) 1, 2, 3

How to proceed without plugging in?I plugged in in the exam and got only choice 1 as correct and hence marke db which is wrong:(
Hybrid approach to make things smooth

"Could be true" Find one positive instance for each case. Proving that there are no positive instances requires algebraic way.

"must be true" Find one negative instance for each case. Proving that there are all positive instances requires algebraic way.

Lets focus on algebraic way.

1. x^2 < 2x < 1/x
x^2 - 2x < 0 --> (0,2)
2x < 1/x
x^2 - (1/2) < 0 --> (-1/sqrt(2), 1/sqrt(2))

Combining together: (0, 1/sqrt(2))

The domain of this inequality is the above.

2. x^2 < 1/x < 2x

x^3 < 1
domain: (-inf, 1)

and x^2 > 1/2
domain: (-inf, 1/sqrt(2)) U (1/sqrt(2), +inf)

Find the intersection of both domains: (-inf, 1/sqrt(2). Note that x is positive.
(0, 1/sqrt(2)) is the domain.

3. 2x < x^2 < 1/x

x^2 - 2x > 0
domain: (-inf, 0) U (2, +inf)


x^3 < 1
domain: (-inf, 1)

Intersection: (-inf, 0)

But x is positive.


Some key things to remember:

(x-a)(x-b) > 0, (-inf, a) U (b, +inf), assumin a < b
(x-a)(x-b) < 0 (a, b), assumin a < b
(x^3-a^3) > 0 (a, +inf)
(x^3+a^3) < 0 (-inf, a)

Being cool and taking the restctions (like x being +ve) into account help your test.

Smart numbers help you to get rid of some choices, thereby ending up with fewer choices. There, focus on algebraic approach.
Join the discussion

by sme0928 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:08 pm
Since we know X is positive, cant we multiply by X to get rid of the fraction and then compare?
Join the discussion

by Testluv » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:30 pm
x = 1/2 satisfies I

x = 3/4 satisfies II

If x = 3/4, then x^2 = 9/16, and 1/x = 4/3, and 2x = 3/2

9/16 < 4/3 < 3/2

So, both I and II are possible orders. If x is positive, however, it is impossible that x^2 < 1/x while simultaneously 2x < x^2.

Choose D.
Kaplan Teacher in Toronto
Join the discussion

by heshamelaziry » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:23 pm
Testluv wrote:x = 1/2 satisfies I

x = 3/4 satisfies II

If x = 3/4, then x^2 = 9/16, and 1/x = 4/3, and 2x = 3/2

9/16 < 4/3 < 3/2

So, both I and II are possible orders. If x is positive, however, it is impossible that x^2 < 1/x while simultaneously 2x < x^2.

Choose D.
But in order for a choice such as II to be correct, the choice has to be consistent with any value for x. Clearly, x=1 will destroy the equation and x = 3/2 will destroy it. How can we chose based on one value only. I haven't seen this yet ?
Join the discussion

by Testluv » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:21 pm
heshamelaziry wrote:
Testluv wrote:x = 1/2 satisfies I

x = 3/4 satisfies II

If x = 3/4, then x^2 = 9/16, and 1/x = 4/3, and 2x = 3/2

9/16 < 4/3 < 3/2

So, both I and II are possible orders. If x is positive, however, it is impossible that x^2 < 1/x while simultaneously 2x < x^2.

Choose D.
But in order for a choice such as II to be correct, the choice has to be consistent with any value for x. Clearly, x=1 will destroy the equation and x = 3/2 will destroy it. How can we chose based on one value only. I haven't seen this yet ?
No, it doesn't have to be consistent with any value of x. The question asks which of them COULD be a possible correct ordering. So, we only need to find a value of x that will work. As soon, as we do, we know that that COULD be the possible order.
Kaplan Teacher in Toronto
Join the discussion