BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Arithmetic Problem

Expert replies
by GMATER911 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:47 pm
( ( 2√3+3√2)/√2 + √3) ^2 = ??


Unfortunately, I don't have the answer. Can someone solve it.

The main idea is to recognize (A+B)^2 = A^2 + 2AB + B^2 ... but I can't get an integer .. what"s wrong?
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

Hey

by Leon1984 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:08 pm
Is it 6?

I think that the main thing here, as in most algebraic stuff that have fractions is to recognize the a^2-b^2 = (a-b)(a+b). Then, we can multiply the nominator and denominator by 1, or by the (a-b) and we don't change the meaning of the equation.

2rt3+3rt2 rt2-rt3 2rt3rt2-2*3+3*2-3rt2rt3
--------- * ------- = -----------------------
rt2+rt3 rt2-rt3 2-3

-1*rt2rt3
--------- = rt2rt3 However, it was all squared, so it
-1

is (rt2rt3)^2=2*3=6

I'm also new to this, and unsure about the answer, but hope it's ok.
Leon
Join the discussion

Re: Hey

by Abdulla » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:32 pm
Leon1984 wrote:Is it 6?

I think that the main thing here, as in most algebraic stuff that have fractions is to recognize the a^2-b^2 = (a-b)(a+b). Then, we can multiply the nominator and denominator by 1, or by the (a-b) and we don't change the meaning of the equation.

2rt3+3rt2 rt2-rt3 2rt3rt2-2*3+3*2-3rt2rt3
--------- * ------- = -----------------------
rt2+rt3 rt2-rt3 2-3

-1*rt2rt3
--------- = rt2rt3 However, it was all squared, so it
-1

is (rt2rt3)^2=2*3=6

I'm also new to this, and unsure about the answer, but hope it's ok.
Hi Leon, I tried hardly to follow your steps I but can't get it.

Can you make it more clear ? and add parentheses pls ..
Abdulla
Join the discussion

editing suck

by Leon1984 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:55 pm
Sure, I'll just do it in few steps:
When we multiply any number, and a fraction, by 1, it value does not change. Note, that 1 can be a fraction, so we can multiply the nominator and denominator by the (a-b) and we don't change the meaning of the equation.

2rt3+3rt2 rt2-rt3
--------- * ------- = multiplying by 1 to get a^2-b^2
rt2+rt3 rt2-rt3

(2rt3+3rt2)*(rt2-rt3)
---------------------
(rt2+rt3)*(rt2-(rt3)

2rt3rt2-2*3+3*2-3rt2rt3
-----------------------
(rt2)^2 - (rt3)^2

2*(rt3rt2)-3*(rt2rt3)
---------------------
2-3

-rt2rt3
-------
-1

(rt2rt3)^2 We square it since, if you recall, the whole expression in the beginning was squared, and so far we've been working with the internal part of it.

(rt2*rt3)(rt2*rt3)=2*3=6

I hope I've made it more clear.
Leon
Join the discussion

Re: Arithmetic Problem

by mridul_dave » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:36 pm
GMATER911 wrote:( ( 2√3+3√2)/√2 + √3) ^2 = ??


Unfortunately, I don't have the answer. Can someone solve it.

The main idea is to recognize (A+B)^2 = A^2 + 2AB + B^2 ... but I can't get an integer .. what"s wrong?
parenthesis are wrong :

( ( 2√3+3√2)/√2 + √3) ^2 = ??

should be :

( ( 2√3+3√2)/(√2 + √3) ) ^2 = ??
Join the discussion

Re: Arithmetic Problem

by ssuarezo » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:23 pm
mridul_dave wrote:
GMATER911 wrote:( ( 2√3+3√2)/√2 + √3) ^2 = ??


Unfortunately, I don't have the answer. Can someone solve it.

The main idea is to recognize (A+B)^2 = A^2 + 2AB + B^2 ... but I can't get an integer .. what"s wrong?
parenthesis are wrong :

( ( 2√3+3√2)/√2 + √3) ^2 = ??

should be :

( ( 2√3+3√2)/(√2 + √3) ) ^2 = ??

Hi:
I changed to:

( (2√3+3√2 + √2.√3)/√2 )^2

that is, the √2 as common denominator for √3 too, and I got 18, am I wrong?

Silvia
Join the discussion

by satish.nagdev » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:33 pm
Actually if you solve on the basis of (a + b)^2 its easy, answer should be 6

second last equation I got is
30 + 12*sq.root(6)/(5 + 2 * sq.rt(6))

from above take 6 common so that will be
6 * (5 + 2 * sq.rt(6)) / (5 + 2 * sq.rt(6))

so answer = 6
Wounded by GMAT but not dead
Join the discussion

by Abdulla » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:23 pm
Here another easy way to solve..

{(2 sqrt3 + 3 sqrt2)/ (sqrt2 + sqrt3) }^2 = ?

1) Factor the nomerator to get the same denominator's expression.

{ (sqrt2*sqrt3)(sqrt2+sqrt3) /(sqrt2+sqrt3)}^2
to double check you factorization multiply the bolded expression, so you should get (2 sqrt3 + 3 sqrt2 )

2) Cancel out the top and bottom (sqrt2+sqrt3)

=(sqrt2 * sqrt3)^2
= 2*3
= 6 ... this is the answer.
Abdulla
Join the discussion