GMAT SC! according to recent

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by UrFellow » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:01 am
According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat from wild animals and meat from domesticated animals, wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is good for cardiac health.
A. wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is
B. wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be
C. wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain and have more fat of a kind thought to be
D. total fat of wild animals is less than livestock fed on grain and they have more fat of a kind thought to be
E. total fat is less in wild animals than that of livestock fed on grain and more of their fat is of a kind they think is
I don't know which one to choose, B or C?? can anybody help me, please ? thank you very much!!

Legendary Member

by pandeyvineet24 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:59 am
IMO C for parallel structure.

wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain AND have more fat of a kind thought to be

by UrFellow » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:21 am
thank you!

I want to choose C too
but someone said that of shouldn't be added in this sentence.
I'm confused!

wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain and have more fat of a kind thought to be

by anuvish » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:27 am
X HAS LESS TOTAL FAT THAN Y

X and Y should be parallel (in this case animals)

IMO B

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

Re: GMAT SC! according to recent

by mmslf75 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:06 am
anuvish wrote:X HAS LESS TOTAL FAT THAN Y

X and Y should be parallel (in this case animals)

IMO B

Dont u think that " X has less total fat than Y "

OR

" X has less total fat than does Y " ??

Some please clrify !!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:01 am
Received a PM asking me to reply. Please remember to cite the source of the question; experts are not supposed to reply unless the source is cited!

Generally, you can say:

X is less happy than Y

You are not required to repeat the verb for the second item. The full comparison phrase is "is less happy than" and X and Y are the (parallel) items being compared.

Also, I was asked why A is not right. That's really about pronouns, in this case, not comparison structure. :)
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me