BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Probably a silly question

Expert replies
by JonDStewart » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:40 pm
using the Kaplan book, the new GMAT Premier Live Online one, and I have this question

30. What is the value of 2x-y

a) x + y = 12

b) X-y = 4


now the way I did it was,

to use (a) x + y = 12
x = 12 -y
plug that into 2x-y to get
2(12-y) -y = 0
24-2y-y = 0
24-3y = 0
-3y= -24
y = 8
plug 8 into x + y = 12 to get x = 4, add those both back into original 'what is the value of 2x-y' to get an answer.

(b) same process

Now the book says that there is no way to get a unique value using this process and that you have to use both A and B to get unique values (I know how to do this, I just thought I could do it quicker the way I did it). So I guess my question is, am I not allowed to do what I did?

When I subtracted 24 from both sides, even though I don't know if other side is zero. Can I not just use zero on the other side? Question is what is 2x-y and I took it as kind of a 2x-y=0 to add the 24...

Like I said, kind of a silly question as I'm guessing I'm just not allowed to do that.

Thanks!
Join the discussion
Source: — Data Sufficiency |

by viju9162 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:50 pm
how did u consider 2x-y =0 ? You cant do that ...
"Native of" is used for a individual while "Native to" is used for a large group
Join the discussion

by KapTeacherEli » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:54 pm
Indeed, I'm a little puzzled as to what made you set 2(12-y)-y = 0.

If we substitute as you plan, we get "what is the value of 2(12-y)-y, or "what is the value of 24-3y" We're no closer to solving this than we were before.
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage
Join the discussion

by viju9162 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:01 pm
Right Eli. The answer should be "C" right?
"Native of" is used for a individual while "Native to" is used for a large group
Join the discussion

by KapTeacherEli » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:41 pm
Bingo, it's C.

If either of the statement simplified to 2x-y, that would be sufficient. Failing that, we need to solve for each of the two variables presented--which means we require to equations.
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage
Join the discussion