BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Help with questions regarding factors/divisors

Expert replies
by shanrizvi » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:56 pm
If n is a positive integer, is n^3 - n divisble by 4?

a) n=2k+1, where k is an integer

b) n^2 +n is divisible by 6


I almost always get questions like this wrong! I generally do well on the math section but this is one thing that I just don't get the hang of. What should I do? Any excellent resource that can help me?
Join the discussion
Source: — Data Sufficiency |

shanrizvi, I'm sorry I can't give you an answer here, but I wanted to post to second your statement. These problems also give me fits and would love to learn about how to approach these. Any resources (maybe MGMAT's number properties book?) that can help us tackle this would be greatly appreciated.
Join the discussion

by tohellandback » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:35 pm
IMO A
n^3-n=n(n+1)(n-1)
for any number to be divisible by 4, it must have two 2's

a) n=2k+1. so n is odd
n+1- is even( got out one 2)
n-1- is even(got the 2nd 2)
SUFF

b)n^2+n is divisible by 6
plug in numbers
n^2+n=n(n+1)
n=6, 6*7- not divisible by 4
n=12, 12*13- divisible by 4
NOT SUFF
The powers of two are bloody impolite!!
Join the discussion

by ranell » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:38 pm
n^3 - n = n*(n-1)*(n+1)
1) sufficient as n=2k+1 is always odd and thus n^3 - n = n*(n-1)*(n+1) will always be divisible by 4
2) not sufficient
n^2 + n = n*(n+1)
take n=5 and n=2 and you will get two different results

Hence answer is A
Join the discussion

shanrizvi wrote:If n is a positive integer, is n^3 - n divisble by 4?

a) n=2k+1, where k is an integer

b) n^2 +n is divisible by 6


I almost always get questions like this wrong! I generally do well on the math section but this is one thing that I just don't get the hang of. What should I do? Any excellent resource that can help me?
How about if k is 0, and I believe 0 is an integer. Then n^3 - n is zero. I guess 0 is considered divisible by any number?

And do you guys agree that these divisibility/number property questions often rely on sequences (i.e. n-1, n, n+1 and such) to get to the answers? I've definitely seen a handful already..

Thanks.
Join the discussion