BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Question about square roots on the GMAT, from a DS problem

Expert replies
by capnbenzo » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:22 am
Hey All,

I encountered the problem:

If (sqrt x)/y = n, what is the value of x?

1) yn = 10
2) y=40 and n=1/4

I simplified the stem to x = sqrt (ny)

Both 1 & @ give yn = 10, thus x = sqrt(10)

I thought this made the answer positive or negative (ie. sqrt (4) is either -2 or 2), so 1 & 2 each gave two answers, thus I thought E was correct.

OA is D

How come I don't consider the negative sqrt of 10 in this problem?

Thanks!
Join the discussion
Source: — Data Sufficiency |

capnbenzo wrote:Hey All,

I encountered the problem:

If (sqrt x)/y = n, what is the value of x?

1) yn = 10
2) y=40 and n=1/4

I simplified the stem to x = sqrt (ny)

Both 1 & @ give yn = 10, thus x = sqrt(10)

I thought this made the answer positive or negative (ie. sqrt (4) is either -2 or 2), so 1 & 2 each gave two answers, thus I thought E was correct.

OA is D

How come I don't consider the negative sqrt of 10 in this problem?

Thanks!
Firstly, you can only take square roots of positive numbers(for gmat purposes anyway) otherwise you get complex numbers.

so sqrt(+ve number) = (+ve number)

CHoice A tells us that yn = 10

from the question stem you can get (sqrt x) = n*y

= (sqrt x) = 10

square both sides; x = +100. x cannot be -100 b/c you cannot squareroot it.


Choice B tells us that y = 40 and n = 1/4: from the question stem again:

(sqrt x) = 40*(1/4)

(sqrt x) = 10; x = 10^2 = +100

so (D)
Join the discussion

by capnbenzo » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:49 am
Gotcha. Thanks for your explanation.
Join the discussion