BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

manhattan question

Expert replies
by ket » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:52 pm
Is x > y?

(1) x^(1/2) > y

(2) x^3 > y

This one was on Manhattan CAT. the explanations to this problem is through substitution of different values but I find that approach too time consuming...

Could there be alternative algebraic way of solving this?

OA C

Thx
Join the discussion
Source: — Data Sufficiency |

by tohellandback » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:12 am
IMO C
I really can't give you any algebraic explanation. though I can give you an advice.
for this type of questions with > or < and there are square roots involved:
check for positive value
check for negative values and
check for fractions (really important)
1) for negative and positive value x>y
but for fraction values
lets say x=1/4, y=1/4
x^1/2=1/2>y
but x not >y
NOT SUFF
2) x=5,y=3
x^3>y and x>y
x=3,y=5
x3>y but x<5
so NOT SUFF

combine 1 and 2
x>=0 because you can't find sqrt(-ve number). you can but complex numbers are not in the syllabus:)
so you are left with two options to check for:
positive values and fractions
for fractions
if x^3>y
x>y
for positive values
x^1/2>y so
x>y^2
so x>y
The powers of two are bloody impolite!!
Join the discussion

by ket » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:37 am
thanks a lot tohellandback for you detailed explanation.

well actually I do understand the explanation with testing numbers, but I just HATE doing plugging numbers :) because I kind of think that takes too much of my time (maybe others are very quick at it though... I ain't).

So, if anybody has algebraic version too that would be great. :)
Join the discussion

by tohellandback » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:45 am
ket wrote:thanks a lot tohellandback for you detailed explanation.

well actually I do understand the explanation with testing numbers, but I just HATE doing plugging numbers :) because I kind of think that takes too much of my time (maybe others are very quick at it though... I ain't).

So, if anybody has algebraic version too that would be great. :)
ket,
plugging numbers is an easy and fast approach to solving a lot a algebraic question. it saves of time. only thing is you should know when to plug numbers. That comes with practice.
for example, take this question:
k and k^2 are two roots of the equation x^2-ax+b=0. what is b+4b^2+ab.

the quickest way to solve this is plugging numbers.
The powers of two are bloody impolite!!
Join the discussion

by mikeCoolBoy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:16 am
maybe this reasoning could work.

you want to prove that x > y given that x^(1/2) > y and x^3 > y. Another way to prove this is to prove that x cannot be <= y and respect statement 1 and 2.

(1) x^(1/2) > y >= x ---> x^(1/2) > x ---> 0 < x < 1
(2) x^3 > y >= x ----> x^3 > x ---> x> 1

no value fulfills both equations so x cannot be <= y and therefore x > y
Join the discussion

by ket » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:46 am
mikeCoolBoy wrote:maybe this reasoning could work.

you want to prove that x > y given that x^(1/2) > y and x^3 > y. Another way to prove this is to prove that x cannot be <= y and respect statement 1 and 2.

(1) x^(1/2) > y >= x ---> x^(1/2) > x ---> 0 < x < 1
(2) x^3 > y >= x ----> x^3 > x ---> x> 1

no value fulfills both equations so x cannot be <= y and therefore x > y


Thank's A lot mikeCoolBoy ... I kind of liked your reasoning but got rather confused in the end...so... I guess tohellandback must be correct in the sense that plugging in numbers is probably the best solution for this one...

p.s and also when you wrote x^3 > x ---> x> 1 ... I guess you also needed to write that x^3 > x true in case -1<x<0 numbers too.. i.e. two groups of numbers x>1 or -1<x<0 .
Join the discussion

by mikeCoolBoy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:43 am
ket wrote:
mikeCoolBoy wrote:maybe this reasoning could work.

you want to prove that x > y given that x^(1/2) > y and x^3 > y. Another way to prove this is to prove that x cannot be <= y and respect statement 1 and 2.

(1) x^(1/2) > y >= x ---> x^(1/2) > x ---> 0 < x < 1
(2) x^3 > y >= x ----> x^3 > x ---> x> 1

no value fulfills both equations so x cannot be <= y and therefore x > y
Thank's A lot mikeCoolBoy ... I kind of liked your reasoning but got rather confused in the end...so... I guess tohellandback must be correct in the sense that plugging in numbers is probably the best solution for this one...

p.s and also when you wrote x^3 > x ---> x> 1 ... I guess you also needed to write that x^3 > x true in case -1<x<0 numbers too.. i.e. two groups of numbers x>1 or -1<x<0 .
I'm sorry you didn't understand my reasoning. Regarding your question I assume that x > 0 since statement 1 says sqrt(x) > y and in GMAT you only consider real numbers. I also think that plugging numbers is the best solution. Maybe someone else can provide another simpler algebraic solution
Join the discussion

by muna_m » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:55 am
combine 1 and 2
x>=0 because you can't find sqrt(-ve number). you can but complex numbers are not in the syllabus:)
so you are left with two options to check for:
positive values and fractions
for fractions
if x^3>y
x>y
for positive values
x^1/2>y so
x>y^2
so x>y
I dont get this. What numbers have you used to test the conditions together? Please Elaborate.

I understand that for fractions X^3>y holds true but not necessarily for positive numbers. But I dont how u have combined the two statements here. Can you please explain.

Thanks
Join the discussion

by tohellandback » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:27 pm
muna_m wrote:
combine 1 and 2
x>=0 because you can't find sqrt(-ve number). you can but complex numbers are not in the syllabus:)
so you are left with two options to check for:
positive values and fractions
for fractions
if x^3>y
x>y
for positive values
x^1/2>y so
x>y^2
so x>y
I dont get this. What numbers have you used to test the conditions together? Please Elaborate.

I understand that for fractions X^3>y holds true but not necessarily for positive numbers. But I dont how u have combined the two statements here. Can you please explain.

Thanks
Muna, lemme explain

as I said check for positive(i mean >1) values, check for negative values, check for fractions

now when we combine 1 and 2
check for >1 values
so x^1/2>y and x^3>y
x must be greater than Y

we don't need to check for negative values here because x^1/2 is not a real number if x <0
so lets check for fractions
if x^3>y,
x is always greater than y
because cube of a fraction will always be smaller than a fractional number

Hope I am clear.
The powers of two are bloody impolite!!
Join the discussion