BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATBootcamp Starts Sep 28
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE BOOTCAMP

Live Online Bootcamp Class with Top GMAT Expert Chris Peckover

15 live classes from Sep 28, 2026

Schedule
Mon to Fri · 7:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Included
Live classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Boost your GMAT score in less than one month in a live online class
  • 6 months access to TTP OnDemand video courses included
View bootcamp & enroll
Limited cohort · enrollment openTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeach 5 seats left
Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll
Limited cohort · enrollment openTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

profile eval thanks

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
Expert replies
by jxia » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:23 am
I am planning to apply the following MBA in 2010: Darden, Stern, Cornell, and Tepper.

Here are my stats:

gmat: 690 (v 34, q 49)
gpa: 3.14 from Cornell Engineering majored in Operation Research
work experience: 4 years. I have worked for IBM about 1.2 year and a Fixed income hedge fund about 1.5 year and now I am with an automated trading firm. I am doing mostly programming/finance operation work.
extracurricular activities: My partner and I own a real estate investment that is worth about $720,000. I am responsible for negotiate rent contract, obtain mortgage, and maintenance of the property. My other extracurricular activity is to help sale and promote New Tang Dynasty Gala. Falungong organizes a yearly Chinese new year and I am involved with the promotion of the show. I am also a CFA level 2 candidate.
Career goal: I hope to make switch from IT/Operation to more finance related role. After MBA I plan to work in Asset Management and eventually become a Portfolio manager.
Join the discussion
Source: — Ask an MBA Admissions Consultant |

by Paxton Helms - Kaplan » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:47 pm
Hi--

I think you have a good shot at those schools but also have a handful of concerns:

- Carnegie Mellon (Tepper) is, as far as I know, very quant and operations focused. That would probably be a good place for you in the sense that you are very quant focused but I wonder if it is sending the right message in terms of your desire to move from programming / finance operation work. It seems like the broader perspective of a more traditional MBA is a more logical path for you.

This is not to knock CM (on the contrary!!) but it is to say: think carefully about what you want out of your business school experience and what message you want to be sending to future employers.

- I think it is useful and interesting that you are doing the real estate stuff (something in which I have a bit of exposure myself) but I really want to make sure that you don't dilute your message. So...while getting the mortgage lined up and getting the tenant, etc., are interesting and great....they aren't going to get you in anywhere. That's not to say that you can't include it in your application or even write about it in your essays...but, just be sure that you dont' give it equal weight when discussing your work experience. I don't want to make too too much of this but just a heads-up.

- Along these lines. if you are doing mainly programming and finance operations work, how does the CFA fit in? Is it relevant to your work? Just trying to get a handle on all of the pieces (as will an admissions committee).

It sounds like you have an interesting background and should be a solid candidate...just remember that top schools always have a lottery element so be sure to hedge your bets at schools that are not super-elite.

Cheers and Good Luck--

Paxton
Keep me in the loop about your thinking and let me know if you have any more questions.

Paxton



Paxton Helms is an MBA admissions consultant for Kaplan Admissions Consulting. He earned his MBA from UCLA and specializes in helping clients that are applying to top twenty and "reach" programs. He can be reached directly at [email protected].

To begin working with Paxton immediately, follow this link and request him specifically: https://www.kaptest.com/GMAT/Admissions- ... lting.html
Join the discussion