BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Rate problem anyone?

Expert replies
by eclaym2003 » Fri May 29, 2009 7:24 pm
OK so I have the GMAT tomorrow afternoon but there is one more problem that I cannot let go. It is this weird rate problem.

Machine A produces pencils at a constant rate of 9,000 pencils per hour, and machine B produces pencils at a constant rate of 7,000 pencils per hour. If the two machines must produce 100,000 pencils and each machine can operate at most 8 hours, what is the least amount of time, in hours, that machine B must operate?

1.)4
2.)4 2/3
3.)5 1/3
4.)6
5.)6 1/4

I am pretty proficient at rate problems but I spent so much time on this one and I was pretty sure I solved it correctly, only to find out that I missed it. ARGGG!!!!
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by raleigh » Fri May 29, 2009 7:45 pm
The question asks for the least amount of time that machine B would have to run. It does not ask how long does it take the two machines working together.

For machine B to run the least, machine A should run as long as possible, 8 hours. In those 8 hours, it makes 9000(pencils/hour)*8(hours) = 72,000 pencils.

So machine B must make 100,000 - 72,000 = 28,000 pencils.

28,000(pencils)/7,000(pencils/hour) = 4 hours.

The answer is 1.

Did you do this as a standard work problem? If machine A and B ran together, it would take them 6 hours to make 100,000 pencils.
Join the discussion

by eclaym2003 » Sat May 30, 2009 6:21 am
Yeah, I did this as a standard rate problem. I think that's why I was so confident that I solved it correctly. Thanks for the help. I actually got this problem during the GMAT prep software CAT.
Join the discussion

by eclaym2003 » Sat May 30, 2009 6:33 am
Would this be considered a 700-800 pt question? Just curious...
Join the discussion

by abhinav85 » Sat May 30, 2009 6:49 am
I don't think so that its a 700-800 ques,
its more or like 500-600 level.
Join the discussion

by eclaym2003 » Sat May 30, 2009 7:28 am
Would this be considered a 700-800 pt question? Just curious...
Join the discussion

by raleigh » Sat May 30, 2009 11:07 am
The hard part of this problem is completely reading it so you understand what you are asked for.

I find this is my biggest problem in my preparation right now. GMAC knows that you can be very good with work problems, so they'll ask for something that isn't typical.
Join the discussion