BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATBootcamp Starts Sep 28
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE BOOTCAMP

Live Online Bootcamp Class with Top GMAT Expert Chris Peckover

15 live classes from Sep 28, 2026

Schedule
Mon to Fri · 7:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Included
Live classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Boost your GMAT score in less than one month in a live online class
  • 6 months access to TTP OnDemand video courses included
View bootcamp & enroll
Limited cohort · enrollment openTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeach 5 seats left
Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll
Limited cohort · enrollment openTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Work Experience is difficult to find...

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
Expert replies
by jp8811 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:04 pm
I'm currently struggling to find a job, and I'll be graduating in the next couple months. I know how important work experience is when applying to top MBA programs, so I'm wondering what is best for someone in my situation to do.

I'm currently studying for the GMAT, since my final semester is leaving plenty of free time open. Might as well spend that time being productive, while I'm still in a studious mindset. Any input is welcome!
Join the discussion
Source: — Ask an MBA Admissions Consultant |

by Paxton Helms - Kaplan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:44 pm
Hello--

I"m not sure I completely understand your situation but it sounds like you are about to graduate from college w/ your BA or a similar bachelor's degree. Is that correct?

Typically, MBA programs like to see 3-5 years of work experience before getting a business degree. Occasionally, programs will take a student with less experience but truly outstanding work experience and outstanding grades and GMAT.

So...my thought for your situation is that you don't need to be worrying about getting into business school for another 3-4 years so what happens in the 4-5 months probably won't have a huge impact one way or another. Focus on finding a good position, sticking with it for a few years, and then applying to business school.

Good luck--

Paxton Helms
Keep me in the loop about your thinking and let me know if you have any more questions.

Paxton



Paxton Helms is an MBA admissions consultant for Kaplan Admissions Consulting. He earned his MBA from UCLA and specializes in helping clients that are applying to top twenty and "reach" programs. He can be reached directly at [email protected].

To begin working with Paxton immediately, follow this link and request him specifically: https://www.kaptest.com/GMAT/Admissions- ... lting.html
Join the discussion

by jp8811 » Mon May 04, 2009 3:34 am
Paxton Helms - Kaplan wrote:Hello--

I"m not sure I completely understand your situation but it sounds like you are about to graduate from college w/ your BA or a similar bachelor's degree. Is that correct?

Typically, MBA programs like to see 3-5 years of work experience before getting a business degree. Occasionally, programs will take a student with less experience but truly outstanding work experience and outstanding grades and GMAT.

So...my thought for your situation is that you don't need to be worrying about getting into business school for another 3-4 years so what happens in the 4-5 months probably won't have a huge impact one way or another. Focus on finding a good position, sticking with it for a few years, and then applying to business school.

Good luck--

Paxton Helms
Thank you Paxton. I am looking for a position with my BA in Econ, but it's not looking good for a landing even a decent position (I can pretty much forget a name brand place). I understand I still have some time to find something though, so hopefully things work out.

Is there anything you would recommend I do over these next couple of months, while I'm still searching for a job?

Thanks again.
Join the discussion

by UKZJ007 » Sat May 09, 2009 2:32 am
I just had to add my two cents here as I'm in the same situation and might apply to B-School later this year.

Here are a few options you might want to consider:

1) Do some charity work abroad
2) Start your own business
3) Internships
4) Take an MSc
5) Volunteer Forces

1) Do some charity work abroad

Nothing is more rewarding than helping someone else. Doing it abroad will add an international dimension to your profile. You also have the chance to pick up an extra language which can only help your candidacy.

2) Start your own business

He who dares wins. There is clearly a lot to learn from this SAS Mantra - there is a world of opportunity out there, especially in this recession. You'll make contacts, gain unbeatable experience and have a chance to make some real money.

3) Internships

Whilst I appreciate that it's difficult to find work experience in big-name brands. I contest that it's difficult to find any meaningful, good experience alltogether. There are millions of SMEs out there vying for talent and will gladly take on an ambitious, young student - providing you can sell yourself and make the case for it. The benefits are obvious but the downside is that you may have to work for free.

4) Take an MSc

This is definitely a safer option as it allows you to weather the crunch and reapply for the big-name brands next year (but with the added credential). If you know what you want to do, the MSc allows you to specialise or change direction all together - therefore it demonstrates committment to a certain career path.

5) Volunter Forces

You can gain real leadership and life experience by joining the volunteer forces - and the best thing is that it's totally flexible around your needs. It's worth adding to your profile regardless. In the UK, the armed forces (RAF/NAVY/ARMY) and the emergency services (POLICE/AMBULANCE/FIRE) offer part-time and volunteer roles (some even pay).
Join the discussion

by Paxton Helms - Kaplan » Sat May 09, 2009 10:16 am
Kudos to your colleauge and his / her good recommendations. Remember that "starting a business" does not mean founding Microsoft at its current size: it can be something as simple as setting up an editing service or being a personal chef.

But...back to your question: what should you do for the next four or five months?

- Frankly, I would recommend taking any paying job that you can. This goes against some thinking but my experience is that the more active you are (in anything!) the more energized you are for other things. AND, you get very useful experience. I cherish the summer I spent working at a gourmet food store: learned heaps about operations, HR, entrepeneurship, etc., and made some great friends that I never would have made otherwise.

You don't need to put (and I probably wouldn't recommend putting) "Cashier, Ralphie's Hot Wings and Cold Beer Tavern" on your resume but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't do it.

- Second, I would recommend volunteering. You don't have to do something like "Teach for America' you can also do something at your church, your local Scout troop, etc., etc. Again, you learn, you energize yourself, etc. ,etc.

- Third, I would get involved in as many groups (social, civic, and networking) as you possibly can. The more people you are meeting the better, both now and when you are finally employed.

That's about it. Don't give up; stay active; network; and hang out with the kinds of people that you want to be like (i.e., the employed, the productive, etc.).

Good luck and keep me apprised of your progress!

Paxton
Keep me in the loop about your thinking and let me know if you have any more questions.

Paxton



Paxton Helms is an MBA admissions consultant for Kaplan Admissions Consulting. He earned his MBA from UCLA and specializes in helping clients that are applying to top twenty and "reach" programs. He can be reached directly at [email protected].

To begin working with Paxton immediately, follow this link and request him specifically: https://www.kaptest.com/GMAT/Admissions- ... lting.html
Join the discussion