BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATBootcamp Starts Sep 28
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE BOOTCAMP

Live Online Bootcamp Class with Top GMAT Expert Chris Peckover

15 live classes from Sep 28, 2026

Schedule
Mon to Fri · 7:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Included
Live classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Boost your GMAT score in less than one month in a live online class
  • 6 months access to TTP OnDemand video courses included
View bootcamp & enroll
Limited cohort · enrollment openTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeach 5 seats left
Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll
Limited cohort · enrollment openTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Advice needed please - Profile Evaluation

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
Expert replies
by GoodBull2006 » Sat May 02, 2009 5:24 pm
Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I only have three questions. Here are a few of my credentials up front:

-Goal is a school in the 5-10 range (NYU, Columbia, MIT)
-Male Caucasian
-26 years old
-3 years full time work experience
-Electrical Engineering degree from Texas A&M University
-GPA: 3.26 (If you look past my first year, I averaged a ~3.5)
-GMAT: 700 Q47/V38 (first attempt) 690 Q48/V36 (second attempt)
-I currently work for a large engineering company that focuses on United States defense work. My responsibilities are above and beyond the typical engineer at my level and I feel I could leverage this into a quality part of my application.
-Volunteer/extra curricular experience is average, I have led a few volunteer efforts as part of a Volunteer team within my company but I am not sure that this is above the average for people applying.

My first question is, what is average as far as extra curricular/volunteer efforts go for the top 5-10 schools? Some people talk about hunger missions to feed kids in Ethiopia and there is no way I can compete with that.

My second question relates to which program rankings might be reaches for me and which are shoe-ins. My initial guess is that 5-10 is a reach but still attainable (30% chance), 11-15 is 50/50 and 16-20 75% or greater. Am I selling myself short here or am I perhaps being overconfident?

Last quick question, do you think taking the test twice and scoring 10 points lower hurt my profile? I was regularly scoring 720 while practicing at home and am disappointed in my second attempt. Is taking the test a third time frowned upon?

Thanks for your time.

-Goodbull
Join the discussion
Source: — Ask an MBA Admissions Consultant |

by Cindy Tokumitsu » Wed May 06, 2009 4:21 pm
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your profile. To answer your questions:

1. The average extracurricular activity for successful applications to top-5-10 schools is good to strong. It’s higher than the average for say, top-25 schools. That said, it’s just an average. The range is from pretty low to exceptionally high. So when you prepare your essays make the most of what you’ve done, but don’t try to make it into something it isn’t, either. It will be OK probably but it won’t be the highlight of your application. It sounds like your work experience would be a highlight.

2. I almost agree with your assessment. I agree about the top tier. I hesitate to say 11-15 ranked schools are 50/50. That’s still pretty competitive, you face a lot of competition in the engineering category, and your numbers are fine but not standout. Your work experience seems to be a clear strength, but it’s one clear strength. With exceptional applications I believe you will have a good shot at schools in this range. I’d ditto these comments for your assessment of chances at 16-20 ranked schools. If you prepare an excellent application and really make a strong case for why you want to attend the particular school, it can really boost your chances since you’re overall clearly qualified.

3. No, I don’t think it will hurt.

Good luck!

Best regards,
Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Editor, Accepted.com
www.Accepted.com
Join the discussion

by GoodBull2006 » Wed May 06, 2009 7:24 pm
Thank you for the follow up and I appreciate your frankness. I have two more questions if you are still available for help.

Would taking the GMAT a third time and scoring a 720 or perhaps a 730 make a noticeable impact on my application? I believe 720 is my true upper level potential, with 730 being if everything clicks perfectly on test day.

I also have fears that taking the test three times would be frowned upon by universities (even though they say they ONLY look at the highest score). Whats your opinion on this? I'm sure there has to be SOME point when its too much.

Its sad when scoring a 700 (90th percentile) on the GMAT is just considered "average" isn't it? ;)

-GoodBull
Join the discussion

by Cindy Tokumitsu » Thu May 07, 2009 3:06 am
Hello, Goodbull,

I agree, it is sad! Personally, I tend to be a bit skeptical about the value and the use of the GMAT …

Yes, I do think raising the score 20-30 points would help. It wouldn’t be an immense difference, but every single point will help at least on the margins.

Many applicants take the GMAT 3+ times. I don’t think you should worry about that. G

Best regards,
Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Editor, Accepted.com
www.Accepted.com
Join the discussion