BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Gmatprep probability

Expert replies
by maolivie » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:22 pm
From a bag containing 12 blue balls, y yellow ball, and no ther balls, one ball will be removed at random. If the probability of selecting a blue ball is less than 2/5, what is the least number of yellow balls that must be in the bag?
1-17
2-18
3-19
4-20
5-21

I keep getting 18, OA is 19. Can someone please explain and/or tell me where I am going wrong? Thanks guys
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

Re: Gmatprep probability

by thumpin_termis » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:29 pm
maolivie wrote:From a bag containing 12 blue balls, y yellow ball, and no ther balls, one ball will be removed at random. If the probability of selecting a blue ball is less than 2/5, what is the least number of yellow balls that must be in the bag?
1-17
2-18
3-19
4-20
5-21

I keep getting 18, OA is 19. Can someone please explain and/or tell me where I am going wrong? Thanks guys
Let's assume that the probability is EXACTLY 2/5 that you'll pull out a blue ball. So, if you have 12 blue balls,

12/x = 2/5
2x = 60
x = 30 => which means you need 30 balls total.

So,
(total balls - blue balls = yellow balls)
30 - 12 = 18

So you have 18 yellow balls. Looks like you got up to here all okay.

However, this means that you need 18 balls if you need the probability of pulling out a blue ball to be exactly 2/5. To make the probability less than 2/5, you would need to add 1 more yellow ball, so answer = 19.
Join the discussion

by maolivie » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:53 pm
thanks again termis. This must be why my weakpoint for the GMAT in the verbal section is CR - I don't read carefully enough. How can I fix this?
Join the discussion

by thumpin_termis » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:03 pm
maolivie wrote:thanks again termis. This must be why my weakpoint for the GMAT in the verbal section is CR - I don't read carefully enough. How can I fix this?
:lol: I'm no better, really. I've been doing sets of problems on a regular basis for 4 months now, so I do catch myself more often before I do something silly, but I still do it once in awhile. When I see the solution, it kills me that I overlooked something so simple, but hey, you and I are definitely not alone.

After you select an answer, just read the question quickly and see if it makes sense. But above all, just keep on hammering away at different questions on a regular basis, and you should get the hang of it over time.
Join the discussion

by discreet » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:56 pm
Here's How I did it :

Let yellow balls in the bag be Y

so,its given that

12/12+Y < 2/5

12 is the no. of blue balls, 12+Y is total no. of possible outcomes i.e. total no. of balls (blue+yellow)
Simplifying, solving the inequality

2Y + 24 > 60
Y + 12 > 30

Y > 18,

So,minimum value Y can take is 19 :wink:
Join the discussion