BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

following statement must be true

Expert replies
by sanju09 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:37 am
Last month 15 homes were sold in Town X. The average (arithmetic mean) sale price of the homes was $ 150,000 and the median sale price was $130,000. Which of the following statement must be true?

I. at least one of the homes was sold for more than $165,000.

II. at least one of the homes was sold for more than $130,000 and less than $150,000.

III. at least one of the homes was sold for less than $130,000.

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and II only
D. I and III only
E. I, II, and III


OA A
The mind is everything. What you think you become. -Lord Buddha



Sanjeev K Saxena
Quantitative Instructor
The Princeton Review - Manya Abroad
Lucknow-226001

www.manyagroup.com
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

Re: following statement must be true

by Vemuri » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:52 pm
Firstly, Sanju09.... thanks for posting interesting questions.

I am kind of stumped by this question, maybe because of lack of knowledge to differentiate the finer details of mean & median. The only rule I know is that when we are dealing with consecutive numbers & there are odd number of numbers then, Mean & Median are both same.

But, below is my reasoning on how I approach the question.

From the question, we know that

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ 130,000 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ = 15*150,000

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ 130,000 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ = 2,250,000

Statement I says: atleast one of the homes was sold for more than $165,000. Since the mean is $150,000 & median is $130,000, there should be homes greater than $150,000. So, this statement must be true.

Statement II says: $130,000 < atleast one home < $150,000. I am not sure how I can negate this statement. This statement may be true or false

Statement III says: at least one home < $130,000. Again, this statement may or may not be true, because all the costs below the median might be of the same price as the median.

Only Statement I provides a must be true condition.
Join the discussion

by sanju09 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:53 am
Thanks Vemuri for cheering me, I don't know the meanings of this Indian name! :)

I understand your problem, so I am giving the explanation pretty early. See through it:

In order to solve the question easier, we simplify the numbers such as 150,000 to 15, 130,000 to 13, and so on.

I. Median is 13, so, the greatest possible value of sum of eight prices that are no more than median is 13*8 = 104. Therefore, the least value of sum of other seven homes that are greater than median is (15*15 - 104)/7= 17.3 > 16.5. It's true.

II. According to the analysis above, the price could be, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13,13,13,13, 17.3, 17.3, 17.3... So, II is false.

III. Also false.

Answer: only I must be true.
The mind is everything. What you think you become. -Lord Buddha



Sanjeev K Saxena
Quantitative Instructor
The Princeton Review - Manya Abroad
Lucknow-226001

www.manyagroup.com
Join the discussion