BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Speed Calculations

Expert replies
by gmat740 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:32 pm
Hello Folks,

I am posting some methods which I think might help you(especially those who face some kind of time crunch during maths part)

Before I write the methods, I would like to let you know something about myself, I am still in my pre-final year of undergraduate degree(Engineering) and I am very careless student because I never go to my Engineering classes with a calculator, but due to this irregular habit I have developed a great art of doing calculations very fast without calculator.

So here are some of the methods which will be extremely beneficial for Questions like this :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/ps-t33638.html


I would like to take the above question as an example:

9/25 + 15/32 +c =1


We have to add 9/25 and 15/32

So what we do : 9/25 + 15/32

9*32 + 15*25/LCM

Here LCM is 25*32

Now how I calculate this 25*32

25 * 30 + 25*2

25*30 ==> we orally know 25*3 is 75 and if a number is multplied by 10 we add 0 behind that number:

So 25*30 ==750

and 25*2 = 50

So whats 25*32??

Now can you verbally calculate 25*32!! :D

Take the numerator part:

9*32 + 15*25

what we do again, we again make 9*32 to a multiple which can be orally calculated
that is, in this case its 10

so we do 10*32 -32

ie : 320-32

still this subtractions can be simplified by again turning to nearest 0

eg 320 -30 = 290 and now subtracts 2 further
= 288

It looks big while writing just for explanation(you don't need to give any explanations in exam so you can go pass through this kind of calculations within seconds!!)

Now take 15*25

here 15*20(Again putting back to nearest 10th multiple number)

15*20 + 15*5 [even if you don't remember any multiple of 5 eg: 17*5 or 19* 5 etc etc......just multiply and divide 5 by 2)

300 + 15*(10/2) [ 150/2]

300 + 75 == 375


So look how quickly you can reach

9/25 + 15/32 = (375 +288)/800

= 663/800


Now c =1- 663/800


c = 137/800


And if we are asked to compare the fractions, we can do that by making the dinominators of all the fractions equal as I have done in this question:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/ps-t33638.htm


You can apply this method of converting the digit you want to multiply to nearest 10th Multiple in any kind of calculations and see how quickly you will be able to solve the calculation part.


I learned lots of stuffs from this FORUM and in fact I am still in a learning process, but I felt its imperative to give back something and this is the best possible way I can contribute

Karan
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

Thanks

by araja7 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:44 pm
good approach
Join the discussion