BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

short cut to this??

Expert replies
Source: — Problem Solving |

by DanaJ » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:44 pm
There is a formula for smth like this. Consider this a geometrical progression with a = 2 and q = 2. You have the general formula for adding numbers in a geometrical progression:
a + aq + a*q^2 + a*q^3 + ... + a*q^n = a*{[q^(n+1) - 1]/(q - 1)}.

Now, 2 + 2^2 + 2^3 + ... + 2^8 = 2*[(2^9 - 1)/(2 - 1)] = 2*(2^9 - 1) = 2^9 - 2. Then you add the other 2 that is at the beginning to get 2^9 - 2 + 2 = 2^9.
Join the discussion

by coolgirl26 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:43 pm
thanks for the response but

you write:


2*[(2^9 - 1)/(2 - 1)] = 2*(2^9 - 1) = 2^9 - 2.

so when 2 *2 ^9 -2
isnt that
2^10, cuz when u multiply u add powers??
Join the discussion

by PAB2706 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:24 am
i guess dana has made a small mistake. the rest of her explanation is perfect


the formula is wrong ...It shud be a*{[q^(n) - 1]/(q - 1)}.

this will solve ur problem.
Join the discussion

by kamu » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:59 am
use a(r^n - 1)/(r-1)
Join the discussion

by DanaJ » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:28 am
Oops... yes, i did make a mistake, but not where you said I did:
In this case, a = 2, so :
2 + 2^2 + 2^3 + ... + 2^8 = 2(1 + 2 + 2^2 + ... + 2^7) = 2(2^8 - 1) = 2^9 - 2.

The answer should indeed be 2^9, but I just made a silly mistake at the beginning.
Join the discussion

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:41 pm
If you have difficulty memorizing the formula for geometric series and you'd rather not calculate the entire sum from 2 to 2^8, there's one other approach.

Back story:
Finding the sum 2 + 1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + . . . .+ 1/128 + 1/256 + 1/256 is difficult if you don't know the formula for the sum of a finite geometric series.
But, if we reword the question the answer to this related sum becomes clear.
Reworded question: I have 4 kg of gold. On the first day I give you half of my gold (2kg). On the second day, I give you half of what remains (1kg). On the third day, I give you half of what remains (1/2 kg) and so on.
As you can see, the amount of gold in your possession becomes the sum 2 + 1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + . . . .etc
Since I began with 4 kg of gold, this sum slowly gets closer and closer to 4 (kg)
At one point, I have 1/128 kg remaining. The next day, I give you half (1/256) and I give you the other half as well (1/256).
I have now given you all of my gold. (4kg)

Now apply this to the original question.
I have 2^9 kg of gold.
On day one, I give you half of that (2^8 kg).
On day two, I give you half of the remaining 2^8 kg (2^7 kg)
And so on.
You see that we get the same sum (2^8 + 2^7 + 2^6 + . . . +2+2)
Since we began with 2^9 kg of gold, the sum must be 2^9.
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Image
Join the discussion