BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Rectangular swimming pool

Expert replies
by Vemuri » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:24 pm
I have a rectangular swimming pool with dimensions 10×40. Now I want to build a deck of uniform width surrounding the pool so that I can get in and out. If I want the total area of the deck to equal the area of the pool, what should the width of my deck be?

A. 3.5
B. 5.5
C. 1
D. 7
E. 8.5

OA is A. Can someone please explain?
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

Re: Rectangular swimming pool

by x2suresh » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:32 pm
Vemuri wrote:I have a rectangular swimming pool with dimensions 10×40. Now I want to build a deck of uniform width surrounding the pool so that I can get in and out. If I want the total area of the deck to equal the area of the pool, what should the width of my deck be?

A. 3.5
B. 5.5
C. 1
D. 7
E. 8.5

OA is A. Can someone please explain?
Let W is width of DECK


(10+2w)*(40+2w) = 400+400 = 800

when 2w = 7 (10+2w)*(40+2w) = 799

w= 3.5
Join the discussion

Re: Rectangular swimming pool

by Vemuri » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:18 pm
x2suresh wrote:
Vemuri wrote:I have a rectangular swimming pool with dimensions 10×40. Now I want to build a deck of uniform width surrounding the pool so that I can get in and out. If I want the total area of the deck to equal the area of the pool, what should the width of my deck be?

A. 3.5
B. 5.5
C. 1
D. 7
E. 8.5

OA is A. Can someone please explain?
Let W is width of DECK


(10+2w)*(40+2w) = 400+400 = 800

when 2w = 7 (10+2w)*(40+2w) = 799

w= 3.5
IMO Thanks. I think I am having difficulty understanding the question. What was your premise for adding 2w to the dimension of the swimming pool?
Join the discussion

Re: Rectangular swimming pool

by x2suresh » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:28 pm
Vemuri wrote:
x2suresh wrote:
Vemuri wrote:I have a rectangular swimming pool with dimensions 10×40. Now I want to build a deck of uniform width surrounding the pool so that I can get in and out. If I want the total area of the deck to equal the area of the pool, what should the width of my deck be?

A. 3.5
B. 5.5
C. 1
D. 7
E. 8.5

OA is A. Can someone please explain?
Let W is width of DECK


(10+2w)*(40+2w) = 400+400 = 800

when 2w = 7 (10+2w)*(40+2w) = 799

w= 3.5
IMO Thanks. I think I am having difficulty understanding the question. What was your premise for adding 2w to the dimension of the swimming pool?
Visualize this way..

Rectangle (SP) in side Big rectangle.

wwwwwwwwww
w---------------w
w
w---------------w
wwwwwwwwww

Area of Outer rectangle = (10+2w)*(40+2w)

Its mention the Deck area = SP area

Deck Area =Area Big Rectange - SP Rectangle Aea

Big Rectagle area = Deck Area + SP area = 2*SP Area = 2*400

I hope it is clear now.
Join the discussion

Re: Rectangular swimming pool

by Vemuri » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:23 am
Yep, I think I am now clear on what the question is asking. But, can you explain the below calculation in your response?

(10+2w)*(40+2w) = 400+400 = 800 --> I understood this part

when 2w = 7 (10+2w)*(40+2w) = 799

w= 3.5


Appreciate your response :-) & sorry for being such a dumbo.
Join the discussion

Re: Rectangular swimming pool

by x2suresh » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:05 am
Vemuri wrote:Yep, I think I am now clear on what the question is asking. But, can you explain the below calculation in your response?

(10+2w)*(40+2w) = 400+400 = 800 --> I understood this part

when 2w = 7 (10+2w)*(40+2w) = 799

w= 3.5


Appreciate your response :-) & sorry for being such a dumbo.
(10+2w)*(40+2w) =800
we need to solve the above equation to get w.

I substitued values from Answer choices.

when w= 3.5 i.e 2w=7

(10+2w)*(40+2w) = 799~800

This is the Answer.
Join the discussion

by mjjking » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:10 am
JUST A QUESTION: what is the source of this?
I do not question the type of question but the values you find... very gmat-unlike :)
Beat The GMAT - 1st priority
Enter a top MBA program - 2nd priority
Loving my wife: MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL!

REAL THING 1 (AUG 2007): 680 (Q43, V40)
REAL THING 2 (APR 2009): 720 (Q47, V41)
Join the discussion

Re: Rectangular swimming pool

by Vemuri » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:18 am
Thanks man. Here goes my +1 to you.
Join the discussion