BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

GMATPrep exponents question

Expert replies
by allenkt » Sun May 06, 2007 5:41 pm
I ran into a question on the GMAT prep that I've seen before but I can't seem to find it so I can see how to solve it. I didn't write down the exact question but it was one about figuring out the temperature of a cup of coffee 30 minutes after is was poured given the temp at 10 minutes and a formula.

The formula, where F = temperature and t = minutes after is was poured and a = some constant is:

F = 120 (2^-at) + 60

So I'm given F = 120 at t = 10 then I need to figure out F at t = 30. Seems simple enough but for the life of me I don't know what to do with the 'a' exponent. I can get as far as 1 / 2^10a but I can't figure out where to go next to solve for a. Help!
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

Re: GMATPrep exponents question

by jayhawk2001 » Sun May 06, 2007 6:20 pm
allenkt wrote:I ran into a question on the GMAT prep that I've seen before but I can't seem to find it so I can see how to solve it. I didn't write down the exact question but it was one about figuring out the temperature of a cup of coffee 30 minutes after is was poured given the temp at 10 minutes and a formula.

The formula, where F = temperature and t = minutes after is was poured and a = some constant is:

F = 120 (2^-at) + 60

So I'm given F = 120 at t = 10 then I need to figure out F at t = 30. Seems simple enough but for the life of me I don't know what to do with the 'a' exponent. I can get as far as 1 / 2^10a but I can't figure out where to go next to solve for a. Help!
For t=10,

120 = 120*(2^-at) + 60
1/2 = 2^-at
2^-at = 2^-1
at = 1
a = 1/10 (at t=10)

Using this for t=30

F = 120*(2^-30/10) + 60
= 120*2^-3 + 60
= 15 + 60
= 75
Join the discussion

by allenkt » Sun May 06, 2007 6:34 pm
Everything makes sense except for one part.

2^-at = 2^-1
then
at = 1

So are you saying that if X^a = X^b, then a = b?

Ok, never mind, writing it like that I now see it. If the bases are the same and the values are the same, then the exponents must also be equal. That is the step I couldn't see when trying to solve this.

Thanks!
Join the discussion