Urgent..for All GMAT takers from 1st April till now ..

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:59 am
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by Night reader » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:26 am
LIL wrote:
Please, note this experimental block hypothesis has been made by me not to purport an idea of change in GMAT CAT algorithm. If this would be the case, other two people have also suffered from the low verbal scores. They did not suffer, hence there was no change in algorithm. This is rather an element of uncertainty in taking GMAT, and I should have known that in advance.
this is an interesting hypothesis. are you suggesting that you scored poorly because all of your initial questions were experimental questions and thus not counted? on what do you base this hypothesis? afaik experimental questions are peppered throughout the exam in every instance, and it is impossible to distinguish them from non-experimental questions. thus i can only conclude that you're basing this hypothesis on absolutely nothing.

to everyone in this thread who has scored (decently) well in practice tests but scored badly on the actual test, it's important to realize that there are many different factors on test day that may be adversely affecting your performance. for example, if you take a practice test under non-normal conditions (e.g. you give yourself too much time to answer questions), your score is likely to suffer on test day when you are forced to abide by the time limit. also, remember that while the gmat recycles its problems, many of the practice exams administered by other companies do not. so if you are scoring a v30 on the gmat prep software after taking the test eight times, you are not really scoring a v30 -- you are likely seeing problems more than once.
@LIL, randomness and uncertainty are two very close standing statistical occurrences. You have spoken about the known side of GMAT, i.e. timing on practice tests, repeated questions, BUT the point I was trying to make with experimental questions is their order and number may vary, agree? This is not certain. Why I would be concerned with this uncertainty at all? This is one third of whole section! I want to be prepared to see 1/3 of all my questions with various degrees of difficulty - regardless 200 or 800 levels.

@Ron, I have already rejected that hypothesis based in very little probability for the random events to show up in consecutive order, i.e. 100% of them to follow each other in my other post from April 10. The outstanding question - we take our times and efforts to scrutinize the various difficulty level of experimental questions (not their difficulty levels, the questions themselves). God knows what can be consequences ...
My knowledge frontiers came to evolve the GMATPill's methods - the credited study means to boost the Verbal competence. I really like their videos, especially for RC, CR and SC. You do check their study methods at https://www.gmatpill.com

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:27 members

by LIL » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:31 am
RadiumBall wrote: I just want to know one thing, how can one get almost 25 SC's in a test and that all in 700-800 level (at least this is the impression I got). Isn't this illegal?
if anything, the fact that you were "under the impression" that the questions you got were "very hard" is a sign that the algorithm is working as it should be. because the test is adaptive, most of the questions you will see will be just beyond your comfort zone in terms of easiness. if you're a 600-level test taker, you'll constantly see 700-level questions (which will seem like 800+ level questions, as far as you're concerned), and if you're a 300-level test taker you'll constantly see 400-level questions (which will *also* seem like 800+ level questions, as far as you're concerned).

if you were in fact seeing 700-800 level questions consistently--even if you answered them incorrectly--you would have scored very well on that section of the test.

by LIL » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:07 am
Night reader wrote:BUT the point I was trying to make with experimental questions is their order and number may vary, agree? This is not certain. Why I would be concerned with this uncertainty at all? This is one third of whole section! I want to be prepared to see 1/3 of all my questions with various degrees of difficulty - regardless 200 or 800 levels.
i suppose this is *not* certain. it's possible that all of your experimental questions will "randomly" appear in one chunk. assuming the gmac hasn't taken this possibility into account, of course, and designed the test to ensure such a thing doesn't happen (i don't know if they have, but it seems like something that would be relatively easy to do). the probability of what you're saying may have happened (first 13 q's in verbal all experimental) is sth like .0000000000568, tho.

that said, i'm curious as to what your beef is with the experimental questions? afaik they are most likely to be either easier than your level (which means you'll get them right, no stress) or harder (which means you're going to get them wrong, but this will actually be a good thing because they won't count).

Legendary Member

by Night reader » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:22 pm
smart move, RC experimental comes 4 in row as the constraint, perhaps you took single favorable outcomes out of the total; thus the probability that the fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth questions are experimental will be 7%, i.e. 7 in 100 replications.

@LIL I wish to discontinue this talk, as the verbal collapsed at 16 leaves me nowhere to read/write ... given this score, percentile and outcome, I am not sure how to gain verbal competence and rebound test confidence
LIL wrote:
Night reader wrote:BUT the point I was trying to make with experimental questions is their order and number may vary, agree? This is not certain. Why I would be concerned with this uncertainty at all? This is one third of whole section! I want to be prepared to see 1/3 of all my questions with various degrees of difficulty - regardless 200 or 800 levels.
i suppose this is *not* certain. it's possible that all of your experimental questions will "randomly" appear in one chunk. assuming the gmac hasn't taken this possibility into account, of course, and designed the test to ensure such a thing doesn't happen (i don't know if they have, but it seems like something that would be relatively easy to do). the probability of what you're saying may have happened (first 13 q's in verbal all experimental) is sth like .0000000000568, tho.

that said, i'm curious as to what your beef is with the experimental questions? afaik they are most likely to be either easier than your level (which means you'll get them right, no stress) or harder (which means you're going to get them wrong, but this will actually be a good thing because they won't count).
My knowledge frontiers came to evolve the GMATPill's methods - the credited study means to boost the Verbal competence. I really like their videos, especially for RC, CR and SC. You do check their study methods at https://www.gmatpill.com

by LIL » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:56 pm
night reader --

perhaps you should check up on ron's posts, i hear he has quite the following on this forum. here's a thread where someone compiled a bunch of his tips: https://www.beatthegmat.com/papgust-s-gm ... 58950.html

it also depends on how you're approaching the verbal section -- but i don't know your story, and i haven't been around for very long. good luck!

Legendary Member

by Night reader » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:51 am
yes, sometimes we forget where we've started at. i knew this post had tremendous content for refreshing SC and grammar rules in very comfortable way (to me at least). thanks

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Vivek Badgamia » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:00 am
Guys!!! I wote the test on the 1st of April,2011 and got a 21 in Verbal. Usually on the mock mgmats i used to score in the region of 30-35. I was spellbound on receiving my verbal to be 21 especially I got a boldface CR question around the 30th question or so. I figured that I got a boldface question it would mean that I was doin fairly well on the question and I continued my verbal section with confidence finishing with a minute left on the clock. Can I contact GMAC and ask them to review my score?????? This being my second GMAT attempt, I do not wish to give it again!!!!!!1

Followed by:2 members

by Ravish » Mon May 02, 2011 9:53 pm
Wow! I just came across this thread and would like to add my .02 because I took my test on March 7 and scored a 27 on verbal. I am taking the test again and am giving the benefit of the doubt to GMAC but hearing other's voice similar complaints is food for thought.

On the last 6 practice tests that I took, , my lowest score on the verbal was a 41. Before I started studying, I took a diagnostic test and scored 28 on verbal. However, on the actualy GMAT, I ended up scoring a 27 which was gut wrenching to say the least. I understand that AWA's are not a good indicators of how well you perform on your verbal but I scored a perfect 6 on the AWA (I studied for the essay's while i was waiting for my testing booth to open up) and till date I can't figure out what it is that I may have done wrong.

I'l be monitoring this thread closely should anything substantial be uncovered but ,until then, I am going to continue assuming the scores were accurate.
Organizer 'The GMAT and MBA bay area meetup group'

Looking for a study group in the bay area? Join us at https://www.meetup.com/gmat-32/

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Mon May 02, 2011 10:12 pm
I heard the average test score is higher if you take on Friday between 10-2pm PST.

Seriously guys, how can so many of you who have college degrees be so..."fill in the blank."
Yep.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by RadiumBall » Mon May 02, 2011 11:06 pm
lunarpower wrote:
https://bit.ly/fr53xL
Hi Ron,
I recieved the challenge form today...Thanks to the great Customer Service of G.M.A.C.

But how do you think I should say that I got around 25 SC's...The form does not seem to have any place to put up such an information.

Thanks

Followed by:2 members

by Ravish » Mon May 02, 2011 11:31 pm
uwhusky wrote:I heard the average test score is higher if you take on Friday between 10-2pm PST.

Seriously guys, how can so many of you who have college degrees be so..."fill in the blank."

Personally, the more I thought about it , the more I believe that it was a lapse in my test taking skills that destroyed me on the GMAT but , at the same time, when you put in all that hard work and did not meet your score, it's normal to cling onto scenarios such as this in the hope that everything would work out the way you expected it too. Very likely that nothing is going to change but hey, if other's strongly believe that their score is not accurate, by all means go ahead and challenge but realize that something would surely have come up by now had the GMAT been screwy over the past couple of months.

Anyhow, Radiumball, let us know how it worked out for you.
Organizer 'The GMAT and MBA bay area meetup group'

Looking for a study group in the bay area? Join us at https://www.meetup.com/gmat-32/

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Tue May 03, 2011 6:09 am
RadiumBall wrote:
lunarpower wrote:
https://bit.ly/fr53xL
Hi Ron,
I recieved the challenge form today...Thanks to the great Customer Service of G.M.A.C.

But how do you think I should say that I got around 25 SC's...The form does not seem to have any place to put up such an information.

Thanks
what's on the form?

i haven't actually seen the form -- i'm just aware of that web address for complaints/challenges, but i've never seen the process firsthand.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron