Two Days to Go--how should I spend them?

This topic has expert replies
GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:03 pm
Congrats on taking it for the first time -- you can definitely go back and bring that pacing up on your practice tests as well as continue to improve your Quant knowledge -- MGMAT has great material.

I think of studying for the GMAT as a three-pronged attack:

Content 1st - Strategy 2nd - Pacing 3rd. Don't try to do everything at once. First familiarize yourself with the tested subject-matter you may have missed the firs time. The OG is the best place to start. Go back through it, and note any questions you get wrong a second time. That's a huge clue that some concepts may not be "sticking" as well!

Then, as you start to re-build your foundation in content, practice different strategies for each question type. Read articles online at Grockit's blog or BTG for suggestions. You may need to try several methods to see what works best for you - make sure you are using your scratch pad, especially for CR and RC. Consider working with a tutor for a couple hours to hone your technique. This is the most important step in your preparation because it dictates how you are actually taking the test, and you can definitely pick up extra pts here before your re-take. Don't rush it. Write down your strategy for each question type as a numbered process. If you can't do this, chances are you don't have a strategy in place.

Once you've spend some time on those, I'd go back to pacing-drills. Good luck!
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by jmnelson419 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:10 am
Thank you!! GREAT tips!!!! I'll keep ya'll posted as I get closer to attempt #2!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by jmnelson419 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:13 pm
Finally got my official score, got a 5.5 on my AWA.

So really my big focus is Quant now. I can do it....!!!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by artistocrat » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:02 pm
Really good luck! I hope you nail it! (nice work on the AWA btw)