Tough SC

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Tough SC

by Deepthi Subbu » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:13 am
In surprising medical news, scientists investigating long-term effects of stroke are reporting that injury to a specific part of the brain, located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit.
(A) brain, located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit
(B) brain located behind the ear can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit
(C) brain, located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break the habit of smoking
(D) brain located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit
(E) brain, the one located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break the habit of smoking

OA after some discussion

GMAT Score:580

by beat_gmat_09 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:18 am
I'll go with A
Hope is the dream of a man awake

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:46 am
[spoiler]A & C are very close. IMO A.[/spoiler]habit of smoking is less idiomatic than smoking habit.

Apart from that ," Comma + located behind the ear" correctly modifies the preceding noun "brain". So that brings us to [spoiler]A & C.[/spoiler]

I would go for A.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by gmat_perfect » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:54 am
The habit of smoking Vs smoking habit:

We say:

Walking stick....
Jogging shoes....
Eating habit......
Writing pen.......
Drawing pencil....

We don't say:

Stick of walking ......
Shoes of jogging......
Habit of eating ......
Pen of writing.........

So, the conclusion is smoking habit is correct.

BUT "the habit of smoking" is NOT wrong.

In the world of GMAT, we like brevity.

"Smoking habit" is more concise than "they habit of smoking".

Answer should be A.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by chinmayaiitr » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:07 am
I think its either C or E. A smoking habit sounds awkward.

by Deepthi Subbu » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:45 am
You all got it , the OA is A

Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:720

by rishab1988 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:14 am
IMO C

Just as you don't say " He has a drinking habit",you don't say "He has a smoking habit"

We say he has a habit of drinking.

"He has a habit of criticizing people". You don't say "He has a criticizing habit"

Check MGMAT SC guide.It has an advanced topic on this thing [too concise]

A,B,and D out.

D is also a fragment [that clause doesn't have a verb]

E has redundancy.We have already specified what part of the brain.Using "the one"to the same part of the brain is a wastage of words.

Btw both A and B mean the same! I don't understand your logic for eliminating B ,but choosing A!

Whether you set off located behind the ear with comma or not,it will still modify brain!

What is the source of the question and the OA?

If your are eliminating B just because it has extra commas and A doesn't.Then you are wrong! GMAT doesn't test punctuations!

B has no modification issues!

If that is the case :"This question is not worth wasting your time for this will never ever be tested on GMAT!"
Last edited by rishab1988 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by nox104 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:49 pm
I'd go with [C] too. What is the original source of the question? "Smoking habit" could be any habit that is smoking :P You get my drift.. the habit of smoking makes more sense.

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by diebeatsthegmat » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:07 am
Deepthi Subbu wrote:In surprising medical news, scientists investigating long-term effects of stroke are reporting that injury to a specific part of the brain, located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit.
(A) brain, located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit
(B) brain located behind the ear can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit
(C) brain, located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break the habit of smoking
(D) brain located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit
(E) brain, the one located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break the habit of smoking

OA after some discussion
i chose B because i dont think there is a comma needed here? can anybody please explain B?

by rishab1988 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:09 am
diebeatsthegmat wrote:
Deepthi Subbu wrote:In surprising medical news, scientists investigating long-term effects of stroke are reporting that injury to a specific part of the brain, located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit.

OA after some discussion
i chose B because i dont think there is a comma needed here? can anybody please explain B?
GMAT DOES NOT TEST PUNCTUATIONS!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:740

by gmat_Tutor » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:53 am
rishab1988 wrote:
diebeatsthegmat wrote:

OA after some discussion
Punctuations can help to eliminate the wrong answers, though it is not the main deal with the answer.

For example:

When we are going to join two clauses, we need to know the use of punctuation. So to say that GMAT does not test punctuation may make any one not see punctuation issue lightly.

Thanks.

by rishab1988 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:18 am
gmat_Tutor wrote:
rishab1988 wrote:
diebeatsthegmat wrote:

OA after some discussion
Punctuations can help to eliminate the wrong answers, though it is not the main deal with the answer.

For example:

When we are going to join two clauses, we need to know the use of punctuation. So to say that GMAT does not test punctuation may make any one not see punctuation issue lightly.

Thanks.
I agree that you have to pay a close attention on GMAT whether 2 IC are joined by just a comma [ a run-on sentence] or full of commas[each part being a fragment].However,neither of those issues are at hand here,as I mentioned before.You can see that I eliminated choice D [for being a fragment].

Except these 2 cases [a rare which vs that ] we never will be tested on comma on GMAT.

Legendary Member

by diebeatsthegmat » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:40 am
gmat_Tutor wrote:
rishab1988 wrote:
diebeatsthegmat wrote:

OA after some discussion

For example:

Thanks.
totally agree with you, well, i have seen so many question which are wrong because of a commas or a punctuations....being careful is never let you feel sorry!

Legendary Member

by diebeatsthegmat » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:41 am
rishab1988 wrote:
gmat_Tutor wrote:
rishab1988 wrote:
diebeatsthegmat wrote:

OA after some discussion

For example:

Thanks.
I agree that you have to pay a close attention on GMAT whether 2 IC are joined by just a comma [ a run-on sentence] or full of commas[each part being a fragment].However,neither of those issues are at hand here,as I mentioned before.You can see that I eliminated choice D [for being a fragment].

Except these 2 cases [a rare which vs that ] we never will be tested on comma on GMAT.
anyways, thanks but why not B? dun understand :(

by rishab1988 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:35 am
diebeatsthegmat wrote:
rishab1988 wrote:
gmat_Tutor wrote:
rishab1988 wrote:
diebeatsthegmat wrote:

OA after some discussion

For example:

Thanks.

anyways, thanks but why not B? dun understand :(
Just read my post.