To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:770
To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, and she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance

A. To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate
B. For Joshephine baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, paris was her home
C. Joshephine baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable expatriate
D. Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home
E. Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker

What do you guys say...
simplyjat

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by mleviko » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:03 am
I would go with [D]. What is the OA?
Smashed the GMAT: 760

Followed by:1 members

by dextar » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:52 am
Even I'd go for D as 'she remained in France' has to be preceded by a subject which is there in only option D.

simplyjat wrote:To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, and she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance

A. To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate- To Josephine Baker.... her is awkward , redundant . To Josephine Baker , Paris was home.... -
B. For Joshephine baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, paris was her home- For Josephine Baker .....her home is awkward -
C. Joshephine baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable expatriate- I did not understand this sentence I think it's written incorrectly-
D. Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home- The subject of the sentence , Josephine Baker , should be near to the she so that the paralelism that ......... made Paris her home and she remained.... is established -
E. Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker- being is peculiar and no paralelism exists-

What do you guys say...

by tnaim » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:43 pm
(D) Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home,
My question is: Josephine Baker seems to me to be modified by the first part of the sentence "Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate" which is confusing. Can someone please explain to me what am I assuming incorrectly?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:64 members
GMAT Score:790

by kevincanspain » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:56 pm
tnaim wrote:(D) Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home,
My question is: Josephine Baker seems to me to be modified by the first part of the sentence "Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate" which is confusing. Can someone please explain to me what am I assuming incorrectly?
That 'long before....' is a modifying phrase

Long before I was born, my parents decided to ... (CORRECT)
Long the highest-paid actor in Spain, we saw Antonio Banderas ... (INCORRECT)
Kevin Armstrong
GMAT Instructor
Gmatclasses
Madrid

by tnaim » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:50 pm
kevincanspain wrote:
tnaim wrote:(D) Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home,
That 'long before....' is a modifying phrase

Long before I was born, my parents decided to ... (CORRECT)
Long the highest-paid actor in Spain, we saw Antonio Banderas ... (INCORRECT)
Thank you Kevin. Perhaps I have been reading way too much grammar, but the first sentence sounds to me more like that the subject "your parents" were modified by the fact mentioned in the first phrase "long before I was born". I see that sentence identical to: realizing the sensitivity of the issue, she decided to move on with life. (the subject she is being modified by "realizing the sensitivity of the issue". What am I doing wrong?
Thank you for your help again Kevin!

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by pradeepkaushal9518 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:10 pm
Point is that modifier should be used near to the phrase it modifies

long before is modifier

Legendary Member

by frank1 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:33 pm
I would say B

by pops » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:06 pm
I agree with D

To the post above: how does 'For Joshephine baker' fits into the picture..

by tnaim » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:57 am
pradeepkaushal9518 wrote:Point is that modifier should be used near to the phrase it modifies

long before is modifier
Yeah, I agree but then I don't think that the modifying sentence "long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate" modifies Josephine Baker, though the way the sentence is structured: "long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker..." suggests that Josephine Baker is modified by "long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate" which does not make sense, does it?
I know I must be misinterpreting something and that's why I would appreciate a clarification!

Legendary Member

by frank1 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:34 am
pops wrote:I agree with D

To the post above: how does 'For Joshephine baker' fits into the picture..
yup my mistake
i was thinking "for joshep"(for whom?...) is better than To josehep ...so underlooked the option D....

by varundaga05 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:43 am
AS per OG

To Josephine Baker ... her is redundant and
awkward

How

Can someone explain each options

A) To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long
before it was fashionable to be an expatriate,
(B) For Josephine Baker, long before it was
fashionable to be an expatriate, Paris was her
home,
(C) Josephine Baker made Paris her home long
before to be an expatriate was fashionable,
(D) Long before it was fashionable to be an
expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris
her home,
(E) Long before it was fashionable being an
expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker,

by martin.jonson007 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:19 am
Nice Ques.. Indeed..!

Need Experts on this one...!

by winnerhere » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:22 pm
To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate

Hey guys....the "IT" that I have highlighted in the above sentence - is it ok put an "IT" there , without referring anything before in the sentence.

I am asking this as noonbe has pointed it out as an error